Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What recordings would you guys recommend of Scaramouche (Milhaud) and Improvisation et Caprice (Bozza)? I prefer something that can be purchased via iTunes, but from the searching I've done so far, can't find any that really stand out there.

Thanks

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
On Scaramouche, are you looking for the orchestral or piano accompanied version?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J.Max said:
On Scaramouche, are you looking for the orchestral or piano accompanied version?
I'll be performing with piano, so primarily the piano version, but I'd like to have a recording of both.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Scaramouche?

Pekka Savijoki, on the cd "the french saxophone". The most transparant version I ever heard. Don't know if it is on i-tunes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Regarding the Savijoki version-
It can be purchased on iTunes, bought it a while back. Not a huge fan of his tone, but techinically very good.

I'd also recommend the Delangle version with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. Also available on iTunes, album titled "Under the Sign of the Sun".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much thanks to both of you for the suggestions! That gives me one of each with piano and orchestra. :)(I really love the Delangle recording...as I do all of his others). Still looking for Bozza, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bozza Improvisation and Caprice:
Jamal Rossi CD "Caprice"
Marcel Mule CD "Complimentary"

Milhaud Scaramouche:
Arno Bornkamp CD "Scaramouche"
Claude Delangle CD "Under the Sign of the Sun"
Daniel Gauthier CD "Spirito Latino"
Nobuya Sugawa CD "Fuzzy Bird Saxophone Recital"
James Umble CD "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe"
Gary Louie CD "Pastorale"

and many more. Milhaud is actually the most-recorded piece for saxophone. I think I may have somewhere between 40 and 50 different saxophonists playing this.

Angel

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only Bozza recording I know of is Bill Perconti on his CD "Duo One Point Five." My favorite Scaramouche recording is Joe Lulloff on Volume VII of "America's Tribute to Adolphe Sax."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Bozza: I'm pretty sure Victor Morosco (moroscosax.com I think) recorded it. There should be a recording on his website. There are also recordings of Mule playing it floating around the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Need a CD? PM Steve P!

This Gary Louie CD is way out of print, and has been for a long time. One of the best saxo CDs, and it's totally unavailable with little to no chance of re-release. Beautiful playing.

Angel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts