Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of setup do you use to record your saxophone...

I am looking into setting one up myself, and was wondering what to get..

If you can give me the up and downs of your setup, i'd appreciated...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
223 Posts
I use Mac computer and record into Garageband.
Shure SM57/SM58 mic goes into M-audio preUSB interface.
Once in Garageband you can add FX's., send to itunes and burn a CD.
Lately before the above mention procedures I have recorded Abersold backgrounds and then add my playing to create a CD.

·
Registered
300 Posts
jazzsax07 said:
I use Mac computer and record into Garageband.
Shure SM57/SM58 mic goes into M-audio preUSB interface.
Once in Garageband you can add FX's., send to itunes and burn a CD.
Lately before the above mention procedures I have recorded Abersold backgrounds and then add my playing to create a CD.
That's almost my setup, except I have a Tascam US-122 USB interface and alternate between that and a Belkin imic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
hmmm,

That all depends if you like using your computer to record with. I work on one as a CAD designer all day, and hate anything to with them and music, I find them very distracting.

I just use a digital multitracker, a Zoom MRS802CD. I currently use a very cheap dynamic mic, but my wife has just treated me to a Rode NT2A for my birthday!. I record a lot, and I love being able to just press record and go.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/zoommrs802.aspOld review, mine has a CD drive as standard.

I did the maths, by the time you have got the right software, the interface/mixer and a decently fast PC, you may as well buy a stand alone recorder. It really helps you focus on the music as well. Mine's got a built in CD writer, Hard Drive, good quality Effects, Tuner and Drum machine so it's very neat and tidy (sits on my piano)

Boss, Tascam. Yamaha and Fostex all make similar units, and they are getting cheaper every day.

The other point is that thery are more "real" with sliders and knobs, and no amount of software plug-ins can compensate for the actual hands-on feeling of adjusting a volume fader mid track, or tweaking a pan. Trust me.

Oh, and they have nice twinkly lights :) and you will feel like a musician, not a propeller head...

Zoom have just announced a new model, with the inputs on the top instead of round the back, looks superb.

BTW, I monitor through a nice domestic HIFI (teac) and closed back headphones. The problem with computer speaker monitoring is that normally have cheap satellites and subs, and are very hard to set up to sound like your normal HIFI. eg. monitor and save your great sounding recording on your PC, listen to in the car: sounds awful.

Recording professionals spend big bucks on Monitors. It is important that you are listening to a good representation of what you are recording.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an Edirol R1, but I think they are now discontinued but the replacement the Edirol R-09 may be worth a look. It has in-built microphones and records in MP3 or WAV formats onto a memory card (in the case of the R1 it is a CF card, whilst I think the R-09 records onto an SD card). With the price of memory cards falling this is not a bad option.

You can also use an external microphone if you don't like the built-in microphones and I believe an Audio Technica Pro-24 is recommended for these devices.

Transferring the MP3/WAV files to a PC is very easy.

Quite handy as a portable recording device in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
- Rode NT-1a condensor microphone
- Behringer Mic100 Tube preamp
- Audiophile 24/96 soundcard
- PC with Cubase SX3
- Effects: SX3 internal and/or various third party VST's

Pros: very flexible
Cons: not (easily) portable

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
crazydaisydoo said:
I just use a digital multitracker, a Zoom MRS802CD..I did the math, by the time you have got the right software, the interface/mixer and a decently fast PC, you may as well buy a stand alone recorder. It really helps you focus on the music as well. Mine's got a built in CD writer, Hard Drive, good quality Effects, Tuner and Drum machine so it's very neat and tidy. The other point is that they are more "real" with sliders and knobs, and no amount of software plug-ins can compensate for the actual hands-on feeling of adjusting a volume fader mid track, or tweaking a pan.
Until a digital multitrack comes with Band In A Box, I'll stick with my laptop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was very interested in the portable recorders,,,, how is the recording quality with their built in condenser mic.....???

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
The A Train said:
Until a digital multitrack comes with Band In A Box, I'll stick with my laptop.
My powerbook (mac for you peecee guys) from 2002 records just fine. I have the periperal gear, but I can record straight to it using the internal mic--oh, and I can post on SOTW, wordprocess et. al. with the same box.

Edit: I'll add the peripheral gear: Mackie ONYX 1220/with the firewire option. AKG 414TLII mic, Lexicon reverb, Alesis reverb, DBX stereo compressor gate, rane parametric eq, rane 1/3 octave graphic eq

·
Registered
26 Posts
dynamisoz said:
I was very interested in the portable recorders,,,, how is the recording quality with their built in condenser mic.....???
I have some recordings online at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=676583

I've only been playing for 6 months or so. The saxophone is a Yamaha Custom 82z Alto, with a JodyJazz HR* 6 mouthpiece.
The recordings were made in my bedroom with Edirol R1 on the bed, just using the in-built microphones.

Hope this helps

Ian

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,143 Posts
I use the Zoom H4 that rabbit linked to. I really like it. The recording quality is good. You can record files in either .wav or .mp3 format. It's got a USB connection. I plug it into my Mac and record directly onto Garageband or Cubase at home. I also use it to record on gigs sometimes and then plug it in to my computer later. ps- I have no ties with Zoom, I just own the mic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts