Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm recording a talented but unknown singer and a her guitarist friend, who is also quite fine, but not well-known. My little studio is humble, and a good starting place for people on a budget. They've heard me play at jams, and want me to contribute a solo and some backing for their songs on my sax. If I do this as work for hire, am I responsible for paying royalties to the copyright owner of the jazz standards? Thanks for advice.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,989 Posts
I'm recording a talented but unknown singer and a her guitarist friend, who is also quite fine, but not well-known. My little studio is humble, and a good starting place for people on a budget. They've heard me play at jams, and want me to contribute a solo and some backing for their songs on my sax. If I do this as work for hire, am I responsible for paying royalties to the copyright owner of the jazz standards? Thanks for advice.
No, you can record the copyright tunes. Whoever publishes them (ie via CD, record, download, video etc.) is responsible for any licences and royalties.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pete.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts