Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to record myself for self critique purposes to hear what areas I need to work on. Aside from using a cassette player what would be the next step up in recording without costing to much.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you have any computer, then get one of these USB interfaces that come with some software. Yamaha Steinberg's UR 22 is excellent and you can get it for around $130.- but there are similar and cheaper options. You can also just use your smart phone but it is cumbersome. You definitely do not want to use a cassette player, though.

Some of the stuff can be found in pawn shops but you don't save that much and then you run into licensing issues for the software.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I've been using a Zoom H2 for years as a field recorder. Inexpensive, easy to use, available used, durable, and records great audio....

Good luck!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Tascam is another digital like Zoom. Digital is a lot better than cassette.
Better recording quality, easier to edit and search and modify. Easier to erase.
I paid about $100 for mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I specifically bought a Shure MV88 to record good audio with my iPhone. Here is a sample recording using that mic. I just sat my phone on my stand during rehearsal.

I do voice-over recording using an Audio-Technica AT2020USB+. When I'm at home I use this mic because it's always connected to my computer. It's definitely good enough to clearly hear and critique my own playing too.

I used to use a Samson C01UCW. (I don't use it anymore for voice-over recording because it picks up too much background noise.) Again, it'll work too and it's the cheapest option that I have experience with.

Let us know what you end up doing and what works for you.

All the best!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I'm gonna 'plus 1' the Tascam DR5...good recordings, built in tuner, a looping feature and will also change speed without changing pitch.
And...hoping for no snarky responses...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would like to record myself for self critique purposes to hear what areas I need to work on. Aside from using a cassette player what would be the next step up in recording without costing to much.
fwiw - the first time I tried this on a phone, it was really depressing... then I realised that it's quite important to be able to setup the gain and some apps are more helpful than others - it's worth trying a few recording apps to find one that shows gain etc. and gives some control.
The second time I tried on the phone it was really quite depressing... one quickly realises how much work there is to do!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
12,092 Posts
I've still got a Reel to Reel, it's an Elizabethan Princess 1959. My Dad bought it for all the family to use, and it still works! It's had a few repairs, valves, belts etc, but it's still working 60 yrs old this year. I've got a Zoom H1 as well, but I prefer the Reel to Reel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts