Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know many of you play vintage as well as modern sopranos. In my case among them are a Conn New Wonder II and a Yany SC992.

How do you reconcile the response and tone of a vintage horn with the sound of your modern, brighter soprano?

In what settings to you prefer the modern over vintage?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,874 Posts
Two words: Borgani Jubilee.

Accept no compromises!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,329 Posts
I don't try to reconcile the differences, I enjoy each one of them. And frankly they are more similar to each other than different.

In my case, I have two MKVI's (one 1972, the other 1959), a '27 Conn NWII straight, a '26 Martin Handcraft straight, and a Yanagisawa SC902 curved. I prefer all of the straight ones compared to the curved soprano, but they all play well and with the same mouthpiece, they all sound close enough to each other that I doubt that anyone would be able to differentiate among them if blindfolded. DAVE

·
33,874 Posts
Which vintage soprano do you find the Borgani closest to?
The Borgani sound is closer to the vintage American sops in contrast to Selmers. It's been so long since my Conn and Buescher sops that it would be silly for me to claim any finer granularity.

Reactions: zxcvbnm

·
3,099 Posts
i used the modern for playing rock and rand b music and the vintage for jazz and german band music. like dave i much prefer the straight to the curved. once you find the right mpc -you can get the vintage to sound just like the modern.

·
3,099 Posts
my vintages- conn new wonder curved and straight-straight silver plate king. holton rudy weidoff -silver. modern-yani s6-selmer s80 ser3- layfatte chinese- golden cup curved and straight tawinese {good horns}

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know many of you play vintage as well as modern sopranos. In my case among them are a Conn New Wonder II and a Yany SC992.

How do you reconcile the response and tone of a vintage horn with the sound of your modern, brighter soprano?

In what settings to you prefer the modern over vintage?
If I were in a pit or big and situation I'd be playing a yani due to range and timbre issues, but playing traditional new Orleans music or similar styles I much prefer a Conn nwII for the massive sound

·
2,076 Posts
Rampone & Cazzani saxello which has the best features of modern sopranos (ergonomics and tuning) with the sound of a vintage American soprano. It seems to work well with many different mouthpieces and I play mine in preference to my Selmer SIII, Yani SC991, Buffet S1 and 1928 Conn.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I played an old King soprano in the last few weeks beneath my Yanagisawa S 800. I was astonished how good the ergos and intonation were on the King playing classical and jazz. And how different both horns sound and react (the King broad, dark, warm and beefy, slighly better low end - the Yanagisawa brighter, noble and sparkling with a slightly better upper register).
I could live with both horns in every musical situation I'm in.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I don't know about "reconciling"; I just play the old ones. Never been clear what the ergonomic issues are. My Buescher and my Holtons have the keys where they're located.

Now I do understand about the right thumb but seems to me that the increased weight of a modern one with the extra keys, giant left hand tilting table, etc., would make that worse. I have replaced the teeny little thumb hook on my Buescher with a modern one.

Because I have a real tendency toward oboeness (oboeosity?) on soprano, the new ones don't give me a sound I find pleasing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know about "reconciling"; I just play the old ones. Never been clear what the ergonomic issues are. My Buescher and my Holtons have the keys where they're located.
Increasingly, that’s how I feel. I don’t have an issue with the older ergos either and have found that by taking a lot more mouthpiece in, I can get excellent intonation with most pieces (New Wonder ‘28).

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rampone & Cazzani saxello which has the best features of modern sopranos (ergonomics and tuning) with the sound of a vintage American soprano. It seems to work well with many different mouthpieces and I play mine in preference to my Selmer SIII, Yani SC991, Buffet S1 and 1928 Conn.

Rhys
Buffet S1 is the one soprano I’ve ever tried that is a genuine equal to the American ‘20s sound with the advantage of perfect pitch. Not quite the same sound but deeply seductive.

If i could only keep 2, it would be the Conn and Buffet. The Yany would be gone.

·
Registered
964 Posts
...I just play the old ones. Never been clear what the ergonomic issues are. My Buescher and my Holtons have the keys where they're located.
Some keytouch distances & angles got tweaked during the Buescher TT production run, so individual sopranos may differ. Certainly no two people have identically-sized hands & fingers, or identical suppleness of finger-joints & wrists. On my cherished 1926 TT Series II straight, the pearls are tiny -- the horn wants you to hold it a certain way, & it ain't gonna change itself for you. Decades ago this didn't bother me. Now it feels awkward & painful, despite my ergonomic mods to thumb-hook, G# & octave keytouches.

...I do understand about the right thumb but seems to me that the increased weight of a modern one with the extra keys, giant left hand tilting table, etc., would make that worse.
I had a Yani S902 for a short while. Loved the keywork. Yes, it felt heavy. Most significantly, the Yani's tone seemed tame & lackluster to my ear, whereas my Buescher can seduce or mock.

Disclaimer: A subjective comparison of any two horns will yield data insufficient for generalization. My observations are specific to my rig, technique, tactile sense, hands, wrists, & hearing. YMMV.

·
3,099 Posts
i also enjoy playing my old silver king and used it on many gigs mostly as i was afraid for my selmer or yani on a very crowded bar stage. however mine does not play in tune with itself well and some notes require alt fingeings to play better in tune. still its a blast to play and the ONLY mpc it likes is a lakey of all things. from the many posts here the vintage conn straight is the clear winner for popularity

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had a great Martin sop for the past few years and just got a Borgani OBT UL. The Borg is rich and deep and looks older than the almost 100 year old Martin (which I think was relaquered). The Borg has better intonation and the higher notes come out clearer - and it feels that the scale is more balanced. I agree with Dr. G who also provided me with invaluable advice....

·
33,874 Posts
Rich, deep, better intonation, clearer high notes, more balanced scale... Yes!

When will we see some pictures?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts