Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

This may have been covered before so apologies if it has already!

Can anyone recommend a really good sax repairer in London that doesn't cost a fortune? I know a couple already but wondered if anyone has any tips based on their own experience? I have a King Super 20 tenor that needs some small repairs (disintegrated cork on the crook and a few other small bits have dropped off it). It doesn't need a major overhaul as yet.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Searjeant, I did give them a call and they said they'd charge £15 for replacing the cork and it takes about an hour so I'll pop down there tomorrow.

Of course any other recommendations welcome!

Cheers
J

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i can advise against macaris as well, they do do repairs but not well, Howarths is a wonderful shop with some nice horns, while they do the cork or you, ask to play their conn 26m conqueror alto ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
why should you not be biased, they re the best sax shop for miles around ;)
I have to go in the London shop with blinkers on, otherwise I'll end up spendign a small fortune within a matter of minutes as there's temptation at every turn! Every department lures me into buying something. I've never left the place empty-handed or with a wallet the same weight as it was before I went in.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Howarths is a fine shop but they are costly. I haven't taken a horn there in several years, before Seb Cohen I think, but as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on their service department. Try Willie Garnett at Ritz music in Putney, direct telephone 020 8785-9852. Willie is a Super20 player and he'll probably gve the horn a quick once over as well.

http://www.ritzmusic.co.uk/woodwind_workshop.php

1 - 12 of 12 Posts