Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1926 Buescher TT Alto, 1936 Holton Revelation Tenor, 1954 Holton 271 Bari
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Selmer S-80 C* for my alto, and was wondering what kind of reeds you guys would recommend for that mouthpiece. I play tenor as well, so maybe that opens me up to harder reeds, but at any rate, what do you guys suggest? I've tried the original blue box Vandorens, but I've gotten tired of them and want to try and find another brand.

So...fire away. Suggest a reed and why that one. Classical styling really.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would want a darker tone if I can get it.

I haven't tried a V12 yet, so maybe that's worth looking into. The traditionals just...they don't make me enjoy hearing my music. It's one of those things I'm not big on explaining well, but it's one of those sound things you KNOW. I'm aware of my limits, and I know some of it is me. But...it sounds less full than what I want.

@ The edit: I haven't really considered it, but I'd like to go under the assumption it's okay. Otherwise costs just start building up for me. xP Reeds I can afford (for a while) a mouthpiece refacing? That's a bit more.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My alto is a Buescher TT Series 3. I know it needs some fixing up, but it's not so bad that I think it changed my mind about my reeds. Since I play tenor as well, not sure it's a technique thing. As far as staying with the traditional...I just think I've tried them enough. I want to try and expand. What about the Rico Reserves?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True. On tenor I know what I like. But alto..maybe more "soul searching" is required.

As to how I got tired of the Vandoren traditionals...it seemed that each box I opened up just didn't make a favorable sound for me. (The same is true for tenor) When you're in high school, the obligatory reed nowadays for saxophones are the Vandoren traditionals. I tried them a long time, but they just don't give me the response and sound I'm looking for. I know I'm not sure what my dream sound is, but I know the Vandorens aren't helping.

What about the Hemke reeds from RICO?

And the idea about the C* being the issue... it's interesting. It's not impossible that with my Buescher, they don't agree well. I honestly wouldn't know because the C* is the only "quality" alto piece I own. The only other alto piece is an old graftonite rico royal that's even worse.

I'm sure that good tenor =/= good alto. But at the same time I figure I oughta try my best for both. if it's not in the cards, so be it, but for now I might as well try my hand at them both and see how far I get with them together.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By all means, I'm endlessly glad for elaborations. Any small bit more of information works well for me. Thank you very much for your opinions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts