Sax on the Web Forum banner

recommended mouthpieces for Antigua sopranos

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  ErikJon 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good mouthpiece recommendation for the A586 soprano model?

#3 ·
I play an older Taiwan soprano that was made to be an LA Sax but rebranded at the last minute to be a 'Woodwind'. Any good soprano mouthpiece is fine with them but when I tried the Soprano Planet 'Missing Link' I knew I had found my long-term mouthpiece. Mine is a .090 which is pretty open for soprano but I use the same reeds I previously used with a .065, which tells you it plays easier than the smaller mouthpiece. I use only the curved neck but the straight neck is always there if I want to cover oboe parts. :) Really, the horn is now the most mellow its ever been while at the same time retaining just enough of the typical soprano sound to distinguish it from something else, like a clarinet.

#8 · (Edited)
Yet another vote for getting Joe G at Sopranoplanet to match one up for your tone desires
See my signature below I use a Sopranoplanet ViaCoro SJ with my Antiqua Winds earlier model successfully

#6 ·
It's a "squeeze throat" design. I think that they are very consistent in their production. If I had the funds, I'd get Joe at Soprano Planet to build me one - everybody seems to say good things about his soprano pieces and he knows a ton about sopranos and their quirks. However, the Bari works well for me - not perfect, but better than a bunch of others that I've tried.

#7 ·
I play a Jody Jazz HR* 6* on my Antigua SS4290LQ and find it to be a perfect match. Clean tone and doesn't have the harsh nasal tone some players get on soprano. Definitely worth a try for £130

#9 ·
I use a LaBayle Jazz 8*. And I'm really pleased with it. It gives me clean high tones as well as deep lows. The more I work with it, the better definition I get.

#11 ·
Still using an older Barone hard rubber .070" - one of the first ones he made,IIRC ..

edit - I thought I should mention that I'm using the older 582LQ one piece straight model .
Dave Dolson recommended that one years ago and it's proved to be a good one,, matches well with
the Barone .

#14 ·
I just got mine last week, and a new Rico Royal B7. So far, it sounds very good.

#16 ·
I am using a Rico Metallite with it, and it works very well.

#17 ·
I was accumulating a number of different mouthpieces form cheap to moderately expensive with different sized chambers and baffles. I was just playing around and experimenting. I happened to get a mouthpiece that had been balanced by Joe at Soprano Planet.

WOW!!! It changed my whole playing experience for the better. Easier to play. Intonation problem notes on my horn went away. Better sound.

At least, talk to Joe. He’s pretty good at directing people toward getting what they want from a soprano.

#18 ·
Nice. But don't forget that the question is for a specific mouthpiece recommendation. Which make, model and size did you end up selecting, with Joe's help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.