Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard of King Curtis for a long time, but had never specifically looked for what solos and playing had been him. Earlier today I found "Live at Fillmore West" and I was blown away. The rock horn lines, awesome solos...it's the kind of music that originally inspired me to play sax. But, my knowledge in this genre is woefully inadequate and I was hoping members would be willing to post some albums that would be worth getting, other sax players in a similar style, that sort of thing. Thanks!

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,187 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
Also check out some other King Curtis cds. The Live at Fillmore is good, but it doesn't really highlight his full spectrum.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,790 Posts
rs1sensen, I also have a 71 page list of Billboard Top 40 hits from 1955-2005 which contains the name of the song, year and position on the US and UK chart, the sax player (if we could locate the name) and the type of sax he or she played. The list is free to anyone who would like to have a copy.

Most, if not all of King's Top 40 solos are listed as well as many other top session players. If it is R&R or R&B styles that you are looking for I believe the list would be helpful. You could start by downloading a few of the hits to listen to the various sax players to get a better idea of their style which may lead you in several directions regarding style and tone over the next few months.

Just send an email directly to me for the list. [email protected]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I discovered King Curtis (aka Curtis Ousley) too late. It turns out he was one of the most in-demand session musicians in NYC when I was growing up there, both for rock/soul and jazz. Many of the rock hit hit sax solos I dug turned out to be KC. Thanks for the tip about "Live at Fillmore West". “Plays Great Memphis Hits/King Size Soul” nicely documents the pop side of his work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts