Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play sax mainly, additionally flute and clarinet and am thinking about purchasing an electronic instrument to be able to practice jazz more than I do currently and not further annoy my significant other. What would folks recommend for that purpose? Obviously cost is a factor. Performance worthy sounds are not a necessity.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,412 Posts
It very much depends what your goals are.

If you want an instrument designed to replicate the saxophone hand movements but also offer the exact same response (with fingers and reed) your choice is limited to the rather more expensive than most Synthophone (which integrates electronics in a traditional saxophone body, by the way is one of the few which offers a reed sensitive to bending too!)

http://www.softwind.com

Akai, Yamaha, Roland and this new” Travel Sax" offer only some degree of similitude but each one differ more or less substantially from the real thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
YAMAHA WX5 wind controller (old, but ...)
Similar to shown above WX11. Worked fine for me for many years.
Quite a soft device, I practiced on it when the silence was needed for the housemates.
Another very useful thing is to play/record a lot of great sounds (synth side) with "sax" alike technique (similarly, but of course something completely different). Useful to enriching recordings or variety of life playing. It will not replace saxophone, even not a substitute, but the final effect was positively evaluated by listeners. Not in "saxophone" category in my opinion, but useful for saxophonists.
It need to work with the cable (attached midi) and synthesizer.
The best for me (in hardware domain) was synth module Yamaha VL-70m (old, but ...)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here you are, maybe it will be also and still useful:
For Yamaha VL-70m synth I used an upgraded (chip) sound bank,
the info about it and a lot of about wind controllers and sound banks can be found on the site of Patchman Music.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Consider getting a keyboard with head phones instead. Basic keyboard skills can help you advance dramatically.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I use a WX7 wind controller with synth plugins via my laptop and iOS devices too. All you need is a MIDI interface and headphones to started. I took an older Windows 7 laptop and set it up for music production with as much of the unnecessary stuff removed/deactivated.

It's also good to work things out on the keyboard too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts