Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a bari, if I can get a loan from my parents. However I will be limited to around 3,500, because I really only be able to pay it off with my taxes. So, I'm looking for a few suggestions on what reasonable horns are out there in that price range.

I honestly haven't looked at the cheaper models for a while, but if the amount was higher this would be a no brainer for me.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
If you are willing to buy used and BE PATIENT, you can get an awful lot of horn for $3500. Look for a Yamaha 52 (maybe even a 62 if you're lucky, but avoid ex-school horns or anything that's been dropped), a Yanagisawa of any model, or possibly even a low-Bb Mark VI (budget for some repairs at this price point).

For a little less--maybe $2000-2500, look for a Japan-made Vito (this is a Yanagisawa in disguise), Keilwerth/Weltklang, and for around $1500 or so you might be able to find a German-made Armstrong. Cannonball isn't my favorite, but some people like them. If you dig vintage, try a Conn 12M or a pre-1960s Buescher (I had one, and if the ergos work for you these can really roar). I'd avoid Bundy or Selmer USA horns, unless it's dirt cheap and you can play it first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
871 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Keep checking ebay after you firm up your loan. There's a nice like new Orpheo Signature on there now with bidding starting around $2,200. Never know what you'll find!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked ebay and found a few good looking 12ms, Even found a seris II for about $1525. Wish I knew what the reserve was though.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I honestly haven't looked at the cheaper models for a while, but if the amount was higher this would be a no brainer for me.
I was in your position a while back, I needed a new baritone (mostly for pro recording work). I was willing to pay up to 8 or 10,000 and managed to playtest an awful lot of horns, new and vintage. In the end, the one I bought was surprisingly cheap, it just had the sound I wanted and was as good as any horn two or three times the price for what I needed. It's a Bauhaus Walstein, very worth looking into. All the other horns at that price just didn't compare. I'm using nearly every day on TV or film sessions and it has not let me down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have to admit, the Orpheo Signature has rocked for me, and that could be had in your price range. I bought it without testing it first from one of my SOTW colleagues and have had zero regrets.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Go here, scroll way down and check the Whitehall baritone (Yanagisawa B-6 stencil) - great horn, and seemingly in great condition, too. You'll probably never need another baritone (though tempting some may be... if someone threw a 12M my way, I'd catch :)).

M.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran across the Whitehall. I did find out that my father may not be able to loan me as much as I was wanting, but I do have a couple of tenors that I could sell, one of which needs a major overhaul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.