Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I was hoping someone could help me out with this.

I got an email today through my website from a fellow who lives between Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His wife has 3 instruments that belonged to her late father that she has decided to part with. These include:

Alto Saxophone: Selmer Paris Mark VI marked Boston - serial number 125XXX
Clarinet: Buffet Crampon Paris – serial number 26XXX
Flute: Hayne-Schwelm marked Boston 31 Mass – serial number 90XX

Also available is her personal flute: Vernon O Powell Boston Signature 925 – serial number F75-10XXX

I would like to find them names of a couple of reputable shops/techs to send them to.

If you have any names based on personal experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks....

·
Registered
397 Posts
One of the best woodwind shops in the country is a 2.5 Hour drive from them. Given the quality of the instruments owned by this person, it is worth the drive to PM Woodwinds in Evanston, Illinois. It is on the north side of town, so they shouldn’t get too much city traffic. Paul Maslin is the owner. They are open on Saturdays, but they likely need to schedule an appointment. I drive 3.5 hours each way to use them....I’m on the other side of the lake.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Hi folks. I was hoping someone could help me out with this.

I got an email today through my website from a fellow who lives between Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His wife has 3 instruments that belonged to her late father that she has decided to part with. These include:

Alto Saxophone: Selmer Paris Mark VI marked Boston - serial number 125XXX
Clarinet: Buffet Crampon Paris – serial number 26XXX
Flute: Hayne-Schwelm marked Boston 31 Mass – serial number 90XX

Also available is her personal flute: Vernon O Powell Boston Signature 925 – serial number F75-10XXX

I would like to find them names of a couple of reputable shops/techs to send them to.

If you have any names based on personal experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks....
Hi. I live in Milwaukee. As already mentioned, PM woodwinds in Evanston is a good bet, particularly if your friend is looking to consign her instruments (they do a lot of consignment sales and get top dollar). If she is just looking for repairs, a couple other options would be Kim Slava aka Dr. sax in Madison area (might also do consignment, but probably not as big into that as PM), or Steve Shoen (I think that's his last name) at Schmidt music in Racine. Steve is one of the best unknown techs out there!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I live in Madison and use Brian at Ward Brodt and recommend him highly. I also second the recommendation for Steve Shoen in Racine. Quality work at a reasonable price.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you folks! I appreciate all your help.

Not being from the area, I had no idea how relatively close they were to Paul. He will definitely be the place I recommend if they opt for the consignment route.

I will forward all this info to them, and they can figure out their next steps.

Thanks again! As per usual, the SOTW folks are a helpful and knowledgeable group of players. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts