Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I am looking to get a otto link NY 7* worked on by a refacer. Who are some good refacers you guys know. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hi everybody, I am looking to get a otto link NY 7* worked on by a refacer. Who are some good refacers you guys know. Thanks!
What do you want done? Why do you want it refaced? What are you trying to obtain? The facings on Links are already just fine but if you're looking for more volume than that's not facing work, that's chamber work.

Phil Barone

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you want done? Why do you want it refaced? What are you trying to obtain? The facings on Links are already just fine but if you're looking for more volume than that's not facing work, that's chamber work.

Phil Barone
Here is an email I sent.

Hello! I just received an otto link NY 7* and I am looking to get it worked on. I am in high school so I don't know a whole lot about refacing pieces but I'll tell you what I'm looking for. Overall, I am looking for a dark, clear tone out of my link. I definitely prefer a free blowing aspect of the piece. I currently play 2.5 ZZ and Rico royale on a Jody Jazz DV 6. The tip might need to be touched up given there may be a tiny indent. I have fair chops given I am a freshman. If you can please give me a quote for working on the piece.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I second James Bunte. He is really versed on the Link facing curve if you want to stay with the original curve rate. My opinion the Link facing curve is the most versatile on just about ant style piece.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I have a 70's HR Tone Edge that was worked on by Erik Greiffenhagen of mouthpieceguys.com that plays beautifully. It was opened up and had some modifications in the chamber/baffle area. Recognize that if you only reface your piece, it may end up blowing more easily, but will have basically the same tone that you have now. You can contact Erik through the mouthpieceguys site and discuss any tone changes you are looking for and get a quote from him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I am in high school so I don't know a whole lot about refacing pieces but I'll tell you what I'm looking for.
Stop right here. Don't go down this equipment rabbit hole. A refacing isn't going to give you the sound you want and you're going to waste a lot of time, money and energy with such an open ended pursuit. Time and energy better spent practicing.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Eric Drake - Saxology / Sax Craft in Bekeley CA. Great work and a great guy. He does/did Joshua Redman's work. As JR is from there.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I agree with Grumps. You’re going to get minimal results with just a refacing. Wait a while then spend some money and get a great piece. In the meantime learn to transcend your gear, you can do that on the sax. Phil Barone

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
Hmm...A quick glance at the Jody Jazz DV description and I see effortless, no shrill highs, nice full low end and even tone throughout the range. You bought a new mouthpiece and want to have it refaced to try to bring out the characteristics that your current mouthpiece seems to be specifically designed for. GAS at such a young age. I hope a teacher didn’t encourage this move.

·
25,993 Posts
I hope a teacher didn’t encourage this move.
High school freshman. Probably another kid is encouraging this sort of wastefulness. That or he's fallen prey to the SOTW syndrome.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Here is an email I sent.

Hello! I just received an otto link NY 7* and I am looking to get it worked on. I am in high school so I don't know a whole lot about refacing pieces but I'll tell you what I'm looking for. Overall, I am looking for a dark, clear tone out of my link. I definitely prefer a free blowing aspect of the piece. I currently play 2.5 ZZ and Rico royale on a Jody Jazz DV 6. The tip might need to be touched up given there may be a tiny indent. I have fair chops given I am a freshman. If you can please give me a quote for working on the piece.

Thanks,
Nick
You don't really say how the link is playing now. You say what you want but how is that different from how it plays now?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks like the " The tip might need to be touched up given there may be a tiny indent. " is his concern. A picture could help.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here is an email I sent.

Thanks,
Nick
Looks like the " The tip might need to be touched up given there may be a tiny indent. " is his concern. A picture could help.
I have a Millennium STM that I play every day that has a small nick in the tip. It plays fine & I get the classic Link sound. But I've been playing for over 40 years & I know how to work a mouthpiece.

My suggestion to the OP is to practice.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have a Millennium STM that I play every day that has a small nick in the tip. It plays fine & I get the classic Link sound. But I've been playing for over 40 years & I know how to work a mouthpiece.

My suggestion to the OP is to practice.
I've been in the mouthpiece business since 1982 and have made mouthpieces for Jackie Mclean, Ernie Watts, Sonny Rollins, Steve Grossman, Lou Marini, the entire Saturday Night Live Band and God knows how many others and there's way too much emphasis placed on mouthpieces and refacing and not enough emphasis on practicing, especially on SOTW. This kid just needs to practice. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I've been in the mouthpiece business since 1982 and have made mouthpieces for Jackie Mclean, Ernie Watts, Sonny Rollins, Steve Grossman, Lou Marini, the entire Saturday Night Live Band and God knows how many others and there's way too much emphasis placed on mouthpieces and refacing and not enough emphasis on practicing, especially on SOTW. This kid just needs to practice. Phil Barone
Some of the kids coming up these days are really good. Dang as far as jazz chops goes many of the first chair (even second chair) all state jazz band players could probably smoke me on some tunes. What they don't have as much time and experience in is tone production. That's just a numbers thing.

I think around High school time is the right time to go through the mouthpiece thing. The're playing a Jody jazz DV which by all means has a nice response but very bright character. I think they're going in the right direction. I played a NY Link for a bunch of years before I wanted something different. The facing was visibly off but I played it for about 6 years. If I could have gotten more volume and clarity out of it I would have kept it for sure.

If they want to get this NY7* refaced and maybe a little epoxy baffle added I think that could be a keeper for many years to come.

And then they can practice their but off and not worry about mouthpieces in their 30's.

·
25,993 Posts
If they want to get this NY7* refaced and maybe a little epoxy baffle added I think that could be a keeper for many years to come.
If a brand new mouthpiece needs refacing and baffle work, you shouldn't have bought it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts