Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,298 Posts
Yeah, you've got pretty much every vintage tenor in your price range except for the Buescher TH&C, some Conn transitionals and pre-war 10Ms, prime King Super 20s and Selmers. I personally would avoid buying new, just because new saxophones seem to depreciate a fair bit from new right away, but don't actually get any worse, at least not in any permanent way. If they've been overhauled by a good tech, it's very likely that they'll be better than when they were new. I'm not big on obsessing over the resale value of things that I own, I just mention the depreciation because it means your money can go a lot further buying used/vintage, even for relatively new instruments.

My 1950 Conn 10M (non-rolled toneholes) is an absolutely killer tenor that I would take to any gig, any time and have used for about half of my gigs and rehearsals since I bought it a few years ago. I got that for around $1650 and I think the previous owner had it overhauled in the year or two before I owned it. It plays great and the 10M (generally) is, in my opinion, on the shortlist of "greatest tenors ever." It's wild to me that they can be had so cheaply and I think every tenor player should take advantage of that at some point. Sure, the pre-war ones might be a little better (haven't played one, but would love to), but this one is a workhorse that goes toe to toe with my Mark VI in every regard.

Comfortably in your price range, I've also found a King Zephyr and King Super 20 (late, late Eastlake) and have been eyeing up Buescher Aristocrats, but probably won't pull the trigger on one until I decide what I'm doing with these Kings.

What I'm getting at here is that I think your budget is going to get you something really nice, with enough leftover to get a good setup done with money to spare. I would disagree with the idea that your tenor needs to be like your alto. I treat every instrument like its own thing and sometimes the differences help me establish that I'm "switching modes" when I move back and forth, since the embouchures and approaches need to be different anyway. I used to double on a modern Yamaha tenor and an old Bundy bari with quite vintage keywork and it was never a problem. Now I double that bari and my Conn, which has a totally different flavor of vintage keywork. Also not a problem. Human brains are pretty flexible and you'll figure it out with a little practice.

As with any horn purchase, get a horn that you think is cool that makes you want to play it. I think you will have great options.

·
Registered
572 Posts
King Zephyr....mid 50's. I paid $1,000 for it 3 years ago in great condition. Spend that extra $1500 on 1.mouthpiece 2. reeds 3.Dinner for me as thanks. I've purchased a lot of different instruments over the last 50 years, This horn, by far is my best instrument purchase.....ever.
Musical instrument Amber Wood Gold Metal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,320 Posts
I agree with most replies above. This budget is enough for a really good horn.
My tenor for more than 2 decades: Selmer MkVII with Ref54 neck. Roughly this budget. Super power horn.
Just bought an almost new YTS-62 as a second horn for less than 2 grands.
There is no serious excuse to spend more on a tenor, …. unless you have a good excuse.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
my yani t4 out playes my mk6 also
You may need to have your Mark VI looked at.
‘I had a T4 that was the closest ergonomics to my Mark VI I could find, but it didn’t have the Selmer ”ring”.
I’ll still say the T4 is the best bang for your buck when it comes to a good tenor. Great horns.
‘I think I’d try an Eastern Music tenor and have a repairman go through it if I was going to try to find a new tenor cheap. $2500 won’t buy much anymore.

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,419 Posts
Conn Transitional, 10M. Buescher ‘Crat or later 400. Martin Committee. King Zephyr.
(American vintage gives you the most tone for the $.)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Since your preference tone wise is down the middle I would stick with the versatility of a modern horn. Plus the fact that you're used to the modern key work of your YAS-62 this should really be a no brainer. Yamaha or Yanigisawa are your best bets, and at $2500 you should have no problem finding a quality used one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As everyone has said you can get a lot of different horns for that price. These shops have several in your price range, to give you an idea:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts