Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around the beginner-intermediate mark.

Pieces don't necessarily have to be "jazz", but can include funk, rock, and such.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a big band jazz band.

It's a bit oversized though - around 10 saxes, 4 trombones, 6 trumpets, two bass, one keyboard.

Oh and a drummer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
sod9728 said:
It's a bit oversized though - around 10 saxes, 4 trombones, 6 trumpets, two bass, one keyboard.
Yikes! Do you switch off, or does everybody play at once?

A lot of Count Basie stuff is fun and pretty easy to play. Maybe try something like Jumpin' at the Woodside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
That size kind of makes any sort of jazz ballad hard to do. Are there any bass bones? Baris? Just wondering, because some simple pieces that are fun can be found on www.jwpepper.com I find that their grading system often overrates (is that even a real word?) the difficulty, so if you go to any "Medium Easy" piece, it will be like beginning band. Most of the charts also have recordings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
With a group that size, if you want something you can play without a chart you might try the Herbie Hancock jam tune favorite Chameleon. Easy riff that everyone can pick up, and easy to solo over as well. You may hate yourself for trying it though, it can be hard to stop everyone once you get it started.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Frank D said:
With a group that size, if you want something you can play without a chart you might try the Herbie Hancock jam tune favorite Chameleon. Easy riff that everyone can pick up, and easy to solo over as well. You may hate yourself for trying it though, it can be hard to stop everyone once you get it started.
yeah, I was about to suggest that. It's an easy and fun to play soung, though if your band is like any of the various beginning and intermediate bands that i've heard play it, your drummer is going to mangle the groove.

How about 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy' I know there are big band charts around for that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts