Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using metal pieces for a while, mostly in large tips (10*) and it feels good but I'm interested in trying out a dark, hard rubber, large chamber piece that is (ideally) affordable.

I've been VERY curious to maybe pick up a Drake Bergonzi 10* or a Son of Slant Large Chamber in the same size...

Any other suggestions? Under $400 would be great. I normally play a transitional Florida link 10*. I'd like something in a large tip opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,007 Posts
The Bergonzi 10* is great, as well the Son of Slant (large chamber)... they are simply different.

The Bergonzi is basically a reproduction of a Tone Edge Early Babbitt "Florida blank"... it has that mojo... of the vintage Links.
The Son of Slant is an amazing large chamber mouthpiece: pretty free blowing (more than the "medium chamber", to me), big fat sound, very neutral and thick.

The Drake "NY Jazz" can be a great alternative too... it sounds more like a Metal Link (but it's still in resin).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
Get a rubber Link and have a refacer do their magic. Should be achievable within your budget.

Jody Jazz HR is also a decent mouthpiece, and they're available in that size.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses, super helpful.

Tzadik, i got a nice offer on a bergonzi 10* which i think im going to take. these seem less dark than the SoS L but maybe a bit "punchier" and enjoy being pushed a bit more, would you say that's a fair assessment?

southflorida, yeah I'm actually borrowing a friend's "magic-fied" ton edge 10 and really enjoy playing it. doesn't feel like a huge switch from my STM but the sound is much different. really enjoying switching between the two, however the STM is my go-to piece for gigs.

1953SBAALTO, I tried an equinox 7 and enjoyed the piece a lot but was too closed for my tastes. Very nice piece.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try out a John Thomas Mouthpiece in either a .120 or .125 tip... you'll thank me later. His website is Thomaswoodwinds.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,007 Posts
Tzadik, i got a nice offer on a bergonzi 10* which i think im going to take. these seem less dark than the SoS L but maybe a bit "punchier" and enjoy being pushed a bit more, would you say that's a fair assessment?
First of all, they (the "Bergonzi" and the "Son of Slant") sound different.

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to compare a "Bergonzi" and a "Son of Slant" in the same tip opening: I had a Bergonzi 10* and a SoS 8*.
I usually play mouthpiece with 8* tip opening... so I could manage better the "Son of Slant" and I was able to get more sound from the SoS... and make it to sound bigger and louder than the Bergonzi.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
The JJ HR* does measure out as a medium chamber piece. It is on the dark-ish side, but certainly not excessively so.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
What about the DV chamber, how does it measure out?

Off topic but I play one and would like to know.
You would have to ask Jody about that one. I don't own a DV, so I can't measure it myself for comparison.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tzadik, interesting. I ordered the Bergonzi, I'll try it out and worst case scenario I swap it for a SoS large chamber and ask Aaron to open it up a bit for me... one of the perks of ordering direct from the maker.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I've recently got myself a couple of old Conn HR tenor pieces cheap on eBay — cheap because no one wants them: an Eagle from the 20s and a Standard Steelay from the 30s. Despite the different branding, they look almost identical. They're fairly narrow in the tip, as was the fashion back then, but they've got the biggest chambers you've ever seen. Really huge. I'm currently having the Eagle opened out and a baffle put in to give it some punch. If it'll take opening to 100 or 105 I reckon it'll be well worth it. If you play a Conn, Michael, it might well be a way for you to go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
James Bunte was making HR tenor mouthpieces and selling them through Tenor Madness; I've got one and it feels very Link-ish and darker sounding to me. Mine is a larger chamber one, but there'a some variances between pieces. The guys at Tenor Madness got them from James marked with a tip opening and either Dark, Bright, or Edgy, if I remember correctly. They were under $200, and even hand finished.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
James Bunte was making HR tenor mouthpieces and selling them through Tenor Madness; I've got one and it feels very Link-ish and darker sounding to me. Mine is a larger chamber one, but there'a some variances between pieces. The guys at Tenor Madness got them from James marked with a tip opening and either Dark, Bright, or Edgy, if I remember correctly. They were under $200, and even hand finished.
That's his Model 42 -- a very fine mouthpiece, esp. for the $.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts