Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first thread in this forum and first thing that i want to say is,
I'm sorry if this thread have ever been discussed before.

I'm from Indonesia, and I have been playing saxophone for just 1 year, i am using chinese sax (used) brand lincoln tenor that i bought for approx. $450.
the problem is I feel the sax quite hard to blow, but i don't know because the sax, or me.
I have been using the sax for two gigs and I just feel when i heard the sound from the video record, the sound just not what I expected.

so i am deciding to buy another beginner saxophone with more respective brand..
I have 2 options :
Yamaha YTS-23 for $700 (included with Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece)
Selmer Bundy Tenor USA for $650
(both used saxophone)

I've not yet to try those two sax cause' the saxes is at the outside of my city..
So, what is your recommendation for me between those 2 saxophone?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Although both are solid horns the general preference is for the Yamaha. Just make sure you clearly understand the condition of the instrument. If a repad or other work is required the price could go up several hundred dollars.

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what mouthpiece and reeds are you using?
cheaper to change mouthpiece or reed than sax.
right now the mp i'm using are yamaha 4c, and rico royal b5
and i just curious, is the berg larsen is a good mouthpiece?

for the reed i'm using rico royal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
A couple of comments:

1) might your existing sax have a leak somewhere ? (or as oldcorollas says, maybe it''s a m'piece issue ?)

2) Since you have the opportunity to play BOTH horns, even though you would have to travel to try them...I suggest you try both horns. It may be some extra travel, but it may be worth the extra travel to compare.

If you happen to like the Bundy better, offer $550....the market value of that horn is NOT $650, that's too high an asking price.

I might also say that the YTS-23 price is also too high...BUT...if it is in GOOD playing condition and doesn't need any repair or adjustments, then it's not a bad price.

I mean, quite honestly....you can get something which is better than both of those options and have it shipped from across the world for less money than either of those prices. But I DO understand that, being in Indonesia, the availability of decent saxophones may be somewhat more limited than other places.

Where in Indonesia do you live ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of comments:

1) might your existing sax have a leak somewhere ? (or as oldcorollas says, maybe it''s a m'piece issue ?)

2) Since you have the opportunity to play BOTH horns, even though you would have to travel to try them...I suggest you try both horns. It may be some extra travel, but it may be worth the extra travel to compare.

If you happen to like the Bundy better, offer $550....the market value of that horn is NOT $650, that's too high an asking price.

I might also say that the YTS-23 price is also too high...BUT...if it is in GOOD playing condition and doesn't need any repair or adjustments, then it's not a bad price.

I mean, quite honestly....you can get something which is better than both of those options and have it shipped from across the world for less money than either of those prices. But I DO understand that, being in Indonesia, the availability of decent saxophones may be somewhat more limited than other places.

Where in Indonesia do you live ???

I really thankful for your advise and, you're right it's really difficult to find another saxophone brand beside yamaha and chinese in Indonesia.
If I than maybe prefer for ordering the sax from website, what website is good & secure to ship internationally?and what sax do you recommend for me?

btw,
I'm live in Bandung, West Java. around 150 KM form Indonesia's capital city, Jakarta

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Very Good. My girlfriend used to live in Padang....different island ;)

How far away are these 2 saxophones from you ? Is it easy to get to try them, or difficult ? Because it may be that you will like one of them, in which case, you should probably just buy it. Neither of them are bad at all.

As Warren said above, for those prices, they both should be in excellent playing condition...no leaks, good pads, body in decent shape (no big dents, no bent body tube), corks and felts still okay. If either has a problem, then those prices are NOT fair prices.

There are a lot of websites and a lot of professional dealers online (some are even here on this website)...but nothing compares to actually playing a horn before you buy it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
a 4C is good for starting but is supposed to be very resistant no?

before buying new sax, at least try a bit more open mouthpiece (maybe someone else can recommend something? .085-0.090 opening?), since most resisnatce comes from the mouthpiece and reed, not the sax (try blowing on just the neck)

but there is nothing wrong with starting with a more reliable sax. but if yours is not leaking and is made well enough... maybe it is more of a sideways move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts