Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually play tenor (SX90 with Claude Lakey metal). I have an Alto with the new NY Meyer. I'm looking for a sound that will be more appropriate for a Blues/Rock band. Part of an ensemble with a Tenor and Bari. I would like it to handle multiphonics during solos when pushed. I'll be using it on a Selmer SA 80 Alto. I'm thinking metal Dukoff, but not sure the new ones are any good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you like hard rubber, my 10mfan Showboat alto is incredible.

Did you ever make the metal Boss? I read the sound and edge I’m looking for.
I don’t make metal.
Did you ever make the metal Boss? I read the sound and edge I’m looking for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Did you ever make the metal Boss? I read the sound and edge I';m looking for.
I don';t make metal.
Did you ever make the metal Boss? I read Mr. Grove used it on Alto.

That’s
the sound and edge I';m looking for.
Did you ever make the metal Boss? I read Mr. Grove used it on Alto.

That’s
the sound and edge I';m looking for.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Hi,
Yes, I made the metal Boss for tenor, but if you want that punch out of an alto, my hard rubber Showboat can go there with a bright reed.
I don’t plan on doing metal for alto. Steve has enjoyed the Boss hr, not the metal.

If you feel you need to play on metal for alto, there are lots of Guardala type of copy pieces out there that will suit you well. Good luck with your search. All the best, Mark

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm helping a friend sell this USA Selmer 7*. I've been playing it the past few days but it's too big for me. Seems to have a bigger chamber than Dukoff D's so it has a warmish tone that can be pushed hard. Perhaps not up to a boutique finish but everything seems flat and even with my crude ignition gap measurement tool and granite tile. It's made from the same blanks with the brazed window that you find on Wolfies, Guy Hawkins and a not well known BARI gold.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/StuartSaxophone/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2057301921033894

Interested in trading for a similar tenor piece.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
If you want metal, check out a Berg Larsen stainless steel alto piece. I've got one that's a paint stripper.

Otherwise, if you prefer HR, look out for something by Phil Engleman (Phil-Tone) or Eric Falcon (making the pieces for 10Mfan, a.o.).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm helping a friend sell this USA Selmer 7*. I've been playing it the past few days but it's too big for me. Seems to have a bigger chamber than Dukoff D's so it has a warmish tone that can be pushed hard. Perhaps not up to a boutique finish but everything seems flat and even with my crude ignition gap measurement tool and granite tile. It's made from the same blanks with the brazed window that you find on Wolfies, Guy Hawkins and a not well known BARI gold.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/StuartSaxophone/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2057301921033894

Interested in trading for a similar tenor piece.
I can trade you a tenor Berg 130/0

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok the cheap option for Alto Barkley Brazil POP 7 I paid £109 including postage
It's better than a JJ Jet not as course (My opinion) It's a flexible Mp small chamber High baffle but god intonation and Controllable up top, Altissimo simply jumps out with little effort....and it's loud and edgy but not over bright....
I've been playing one since the start of this year and I can pull right back and play jazz swing, softly spoken Latin ....Or screaming RnB /Funk in your face and all for a fraction of the cost for a designer MP
Works great with a HH fiberreed cabron MS (Best to clip the end of these Reeds).....on my SA80 or TW Narayan

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
If you want loud and in your face you can try a Lakey plastic.
I have a 6* and it's too cutting for me. Used should be around $50

1 - 16 of 16 Posts