Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably will be purchasing a tenor in the near future, want to get ahead of the game with a good album (or two or three) that is primarily ballads made up of the more "famous", or at least "semi-known" standards (translation: most can be found in Real Books). I have a few things by Coltrane, Rollins and Zoot Sims but none of these have many ballads. Any ideas? I know I can find single stuff on Youtube but looking for an entire collection if possible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, there is always the Coltrane Impulse! recording that is nothing but ballads (entitled, imaginatively enough, Ballads). For me, anyway, a collection of Dexter Gordon ballads would be pretty hard to beat. But the list could really go on and on here. How about a Ben Webster ballads collection?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Wow. Each of those guys has a CD called "Ballads". Thanks. I feel kinda dopey lol.
Coltrane Ballads
Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
Sonny Criss Complete Imperial Sessions
Ellington Indigos
Ben Webster & Gerry Mulligan
Rahsaan Roland Kirk & Al Hibbler A Meeting of the Times
Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington (check out the obscure but incredibly beautiful song "Azalea")
Billy Eckstine Imagination
Frank Morgan Mood Indigo
Round Midnight soundtrack ("How Long has This Been Going On" and "Body and Soul" will tear you UP.)
Rahsaan Roland Kirk Return of the 5000 lb. Man (his lyrics to "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" are so much better than Joni Mitchell's)

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Ben Webster has several ballad albums (search internet).

I would also consider checking out Lester Young, Don Byas and Illinois Jacquet ballad albums.

There also several albums called 'Midnight Slows' with stuff you might like.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Wow. Each of those guys has a CD called "Ballads". Thanks. I feel kinda dopey lol.
A lot of times the albums called "Ballads" are actually compilations put together by the record company years later. Michael Brecker did an album of all ballads but it's called "Nearness of You." Branford Marsalis did one called "Eternal."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny, I downloaded this one last night and listened to most of it on the way in to work this morning. NICE!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts