Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play tenor saxophone in an 8 piece band, we play various styles of music but mainly blues with some rock and ska.

We currently play in venues ranging from 60 plus people (pub venue) to 200 people in small concert halls / theatre.

More often than not we use the P.A. provided by the venue and we run the lead male vocal plus 2 female backing singers through the P.A.

All the instruments then run through thier own stage amps these are

Tenor Sax (me)
Lead guitar
bass guitar
Keyboards

We also have a very loud drummer

What I am finding is that in order to get myself heard I am right at the volume limit on my amp before feedback becomes a major problem.

My current set up is an SM58 mic wrapped in a cloth in the sax bell (this works fine for me), I have a clip on condensor mic but I've given up using it due to herrendous feedback problems.

The mic is attached to a 3 channel 90 watt Behringer K900 FX Keyboard amp via an xlr lead.

I now want to upgrade my amp to give me a bit more power, less feedback and hopefuly a better sound too.

Obviously the cheaper the better but I'm prepared to go up to £300 or so.

Anyone got any recommendations please.

All advice greatfuly recieved

Regards

Stephen (UK)

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Most bar bands play too loud anyway, so ask them politely to turn down...HA!

Why don't you just run through the PA?

If you want to use the amp, you can put a mic on your amp. That will allow you to keep the amp volume down.

I also just read that you put the mic inside the bell??? Why? How do you play the bell notes?

This would be the same as the singer cupping the mic...besides being horrid sounding, it is asking for instant feedback.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
....My current set up is an SM58 mic wrapped in a cloth in the sax bell (this works fine for me), I have a clip on condensor mic but I've given up using it due to herrendous feedback problems.......
......I now want to upgrade my amp to give me a bit more power, less feedback and hopefuly a better sound too.
I question whether getting a new amp is going to help with the feedback problem. I think a better or different mic is more likely to help.

What kind of clip-on condenser mic were you using, and did you try any other types of clip-on condenser mics?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
I agree with other comments. Feedback is your problem, not the amp. Take that SM58 out of the bell. And you shouldn't be getting feedback with a clip-on mic. You must be very close to the amp or some other problem. Like you, for club venues I mic my sax into an amp (in my case a powered speaker) and not into the PA. I have used wired and wireless clip-on mics for more than 10 years. I have never had a feedback problem.

If you're going to get a different amp anyway, I recommend a powered speaker. The best are QSC. A QSC K8 would more than meet your needs for volume. But if you want to change amps to solve the feedback problem, you should try out the new set-up first. It may do nothing to lessen feedback. Also try a different mic and different placement of the amp. If you're getting feedback with the clip-on, you must have the volume up very high on the amp and be very close to it. I can't understand why you would get feedback with a clip-on unless the mic is crap or you're right in front of the amp.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
All the instruments then run through thier own stage amps these are

We also have a very loud drummer

What I am finding is that in order to get myself heard I am right at the volume limit on my amp before feedback becomes a major problem.

My current set up is an SM58 mic wrapped in a cloth in the sax bell (this works fine for me), I have a clip on condensor mic but I've given up using it due to herrendous feedback problems.
Man, I probably shouldn't answer because I do all of this totally differently and I'm lucky to have a good drummer who knows how to use dynamics. By totally different, I mean that when I have to use amplification (sometimes I'm lucky enough to be in a small venue where the sax doesn't need a mic) I play through a mic on a stand, into the P.A. with a good monitor in front of me. That set up works very well, even when the overall volume is loud (too loud for my taste, sometimes, but that's another issue).

Whether you use the P.A. or an amp, the one thing I'd say for sure is get that microphone out of the bell of your sax (!) and put it on a stand. Or figure out how to use a clip-on mic if that's your preference. As others have pointed out already, there is no reason why you should be getting all that feedback with a clip-on.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Use a powered Mackie on a stand and get ear plugs. The mackies are good and they cut. You should not get feed back if its at head level. I would take the mic out of the bell. Get a super Cardoid mic with high gain before feed back.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The good thing about using a mic on a stand is the same with a singer, you can move closer and away for volume and tonal effcts. The drawback is non-mobility. I play flute also. I have to move away for high notes or I'll bring howling dogs. Ive' tried limiters but it feels like I'm taking anti-depressants, everythings flatlined and dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts