Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm looking to buy a synthetic reed for the sole purpose of leaving it on the mouthpiece so I can pick up my horn at any time and it's all setup and ready to go. For all other situations (practicing, rehearsing and gigging) I'm quite happy with the reeds I currently use: RJS 3S (tenor).

I have used Legere before and although there were okay for a synthetic reed, the fact that the back is not smooth is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to leave a reed on my mouthpiece for extended periods of time if the back of it is not smooth.

Any idea? I was thinking of getting a Fibracell #3.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've always dug Hahn reeds. They are fairly expensive and ship from Argentina now but I've been playing them for the last 5-6 years with no regrets. I think they sound not only OK but better than cane (for me of course. Many will disagree I'm sure.) Having said this, I always take my reed off and swab the neck and mpc after practicing for other reasons.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I suggest that you should maybe try a Harry Hartmann Fiberreed ( standard type first, before a carbon ) , suggest M, but the great bonus with Fiberreeds is that if they are too soft/ hard, for a small fee you can change it!
They play straight out of the box, and last several months, until they suddenly will not play!

Great German reeds in my humble opinion -I use them all the time!.

Blowhard2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've tried Hartmann, Plasticovers, Legere, Bari plastic, and Fibracells. I use Fibracells for exactly the same reason the OP wants to use them.

However, I don't use them on my regular mouthpieces - the ones where I use cane. I selected, over the years, the right mouthpieces for the Fibracells. I've found they don't work on just anything - at least for me. Others may report differently. But once the right combination is discovered - then they play very nicely. DAVE

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use Fibracell's on my Tenor & Alto and must say i love them, I tried Legere and wasn't that fond of them, i am using the Fibracell's on my Theo Wanne Gaia for the Tenor and they work great.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys!!

I have to admit I'm completely out of the loop regarding synthetic reeds. I didn't know most of the brands mentioned so far...

FWIW, I'll be playing it on an early Florida STM with a relatively short facing (compared to the modern 25mm "standard") if that makes any difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
You may want to experiment with Fibracell 3 and 3.5, my feel is that Fibras are a bit on the soft side. I started with them on bari, then adopted them on SAT as well. It might brighten your sound a bit, though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use Hahn reeds on both my sopranos and my alto.
I have tried Legere, Hartman, and Forestones and find Hahns work best for me.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you who had the opportunity to compare, what made you choose your current reed brand over the others?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I've tried Forestone, Hahns, Legeres Studio, Legere Signature, Fibracell, they were all horrible except the Legere Signature which I liked so much I broke my rule and became an endorser.

All I can say about the difference is that it feels, and sounds, like a reed.

Comparisons with cane:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-synthetic-reeds.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
I've tried Forestone, Hahns, Legeres Studio, Legere Signature, Fibracell, they were all horrible except the Legere Signature which I liked so much I broke my rule and became an endorser.

All I can say about the difference is that it feels, and sounds, like a reed.

Comparisons with cane:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-synthetic-reeds.html
IMO that is a bit harsh on the Legere Studios. Granted, they are nowhere near good cane but they are nowhere near bad either. I have used them at times at lessons because it too expensive time to fool with a reed. Will try the Signatures from now on.

·
28,919 Posts
IMO that is a bit harsh on the Legere Studios. Granted, they are nowhere near good cane but they are nowhere near bad either. I have used them at times at lessons because it too expensive time to fool with a reed. Will try the Signatures from now on.
I can only say how they seemed to me, I'm sure they suit many people. In fact I know they do, but I was just giving my reactions. "Horrible" is probably the wrong word. It's how I felt about the Fibracell, I liked Hahns at first, but then tried another lot at another time and they were totally different. Legere Studio just weren't for me (not "horrible", which is why I'm so surprised that the Signatures are so great. Forestones I found very uncomfortable as they are thinner than normal reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Hahn will be my recommendations but if there is choice, try more. different strokes for different folks

·
6,715 Posts
I can only say how they seemed to me, I'm sure they suit many people. In fact I know they do, but I was just giving my reactions. "Horrible" is probably the wrong word. It's how I felt about the Fibracell, I liked Hahns at first, but then tried another lot at another time and they were totally different. Legere Studio just weren't for me (not "horrible", which is why I'm so surprised that the Signatures are so great. Forestones I found very uncomfortable as they are thinner than normal reeds.
Many thanks for modifying your earlier calumny of synthetic reeds....it did sound rather like an statement as distinct from an opinion. :bluewink:

·
28,919 Posts
Many thanks for modifying your earlier calumny of synthetic reeds....it did sound rather like an statement as distinct from an opinion. :bluewink:
I can see how it might appear like that. I often forget to add the "IMO". It's naughty of me because I often berate people for making sweeping objective statements about the quality of saxophones, mouthpieces, reeds etc. In fact it's all subjective. (IMO)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Magical Pig-
Given your being "out of the loop" with synthetics, I'd suppose that the Legere reeds you've tried were an older line, possibly the classics. This limited experience may have pushed you away too fast. The newer tooling used in making the Studios and Signature series has dramatically improved both form and function of these reeds. They feel better, respond faster, and last longer over time. They're bionic versions of themselves!

I'm not sure I understand your original reference to why the contour of the table of the reed bothered you but the table side is now closer to that of cane than before. However, I still won't leave the reed on for more than the 4-5 hours I plan to play it. It could handle it, but having come up with good cane regimine, just seems wrong.

·
6,715 Posts
I can see how it might appear like that. I often forget to add the "IMO". It's naughty of me because I often berate people for making sweeping objective statements about the quality of saxophones, mouthpieces, reeds etc. In fact it's all subjective. (IMO)
Pete.
I am equally guilty, if guilty is the word.
Quite often my posts do not read as I meant them to sound.....we all do it.
By the way, I have used baritone Fibracells on my tenor mouthpiece for years...I love their consistency & they produce the sound that I want.
As you say...."all subjective"....engendered by the fact that the saxophone is such a flexible and versatile instrument....just so many ways of playing & such a wide tonal palette.
Can you imagine playing Rock or Blues on an oboe? :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts