Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the best sax techs we've used, Alvin Sweeney, died last year. My son has been taking his saxes to Raleigh, NC for repairs, modifications. There's got to be a decent sax place in Richmond. Any experience with one here?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't know about Richmond, but we have good techs in Northern Virginia, which is closer than Raleigh….

You could probably try emailing the music department at VCU for suggestions in Richmond.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm fresh back from several years living and working in NYC as a sax tech and am just about finished building out a mobile repair shop at my home a bit north of Charlottesville. I'm still picking up/dropping off most of my work from NYC, but I have family in VA Beach and pass through Richmond off and on. I'd be more than happy to coordinate a stop on my next trip through to take a look at your horns. All of my contact info is on my website, www.blueridgehorns.com

All the best,

Dos

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
I don't know about Richmond, but we have good techs in Northern Virginia, which is closer than Raleigh….

You could probably try emailing the music department at VCU for suggestions in Richmond.
Hi Christian1. Asking the local university is no guarantee of good results. I had some work done locally that I considered sub par, so I sent an email to the head of the saxophone department at our local university asking for a tech recommendation. Guess who he recommended? So if you know of some good techs in Northern Virginia, maybe you should pass their names on the the OP. Recommendations from SOTW members are pretty spot on.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hi Christian1. Asking the local university is no guarantee of good results. I had some work done locally that I considered sub par, so I sent an email to the head of the saxophone department at our local university asking for a tech recommendation. Guess who he recommended? So if you know of some good techs in Northern Virginia, maybe you should pass their names on the the OP. Recommendations from SOTW members are pretty spot on.
I use Miles Smith. He's a professional saxophonist in the President's Own as well as a great repairman. You can google "Miles Smith repair" for his contact info.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Hey Christian,
I remember your telling me about Miles Smith a couple of months ago, but the only reference I can find for him is playing for The President's Own. I don't see anything for his repair operation.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Actually Music & Arts on W. Broad St. Has been rebuilding their woodwind repair capabilities and now have a full-service shop with several techs. They are currently doing an overhaul on my Selmer USA tenor and I will post the results when I get it which will be in a week or so. (804) 358-1981

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm fresh back from several years living and working in NYC as a sax tech and am just about finished building out a mobile repair shop at my home a bit north of Charlottesville. I'm still picking up/dropping off most of my work from NYC, but I have family in VA Beach and pass through Richmond off and on. I'd be more than happy to coordinate a stop on my next trip through to take a look at your horns. All of my contact info is on my website, www.blueridgehorns.com

All the best,

Dos
Dos, I would be very interested in your services, prices. I have a yani soprano sax that needs a bit of work although very playable as is. I live in Fredericksburg, just outside of Charlottesville, if you have time to come by and see for yourself.
Thanks

[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts