Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, seems a lot of people are starting to get their recitals put together and are sharing them, so I figured why not jump on the bandwagon?

This isn't the order but so far, it's my proposed recital for my professor.

• Amy Quate: Light of Sothis
• Benjamin Britten: Six Metamorphoses after Ovid
• Benjamin Boone: Psycho Therapy
• James Grant: Ragamuffins (?) / Violet Archer: Moods (?)
• Takefusa Sasamori: Variations on Taki’s “Kojo No Tsuki”
• Ludwig van Beethoven: Romance in F

If I do end up using this set, I was thinking a decent order would be...

Sasamori
Britten
Quate
Grant or Archer
Beethoven
Boone

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would start with Quate followed by Sasamori, Britten, Beethoven. I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the rest of your set, but the works I do know I like very much. Especially the Quate... Most people insist on opening programs with short, fast, high energy pieces, but I think it's just as valid to open with a gentler work such as Quate.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, DWoz. Psycho Therapy is a newerish work... It was composed for Cliff Leaman in 2000 when he premiered two of the movements at a NASA conference, then it was expanded upon for a CD recording by Cliff in 2004. There's a full recording of it at Ben Boone's website... www.benjaminboone.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just listened to the Psycho Therapy recording. I think that it would give an incredible close to your recital.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tracy: I completely agree. I absolutely fell in love with this piece after just one listening. The last time I felt this way about a piece (especially after one listening) was two summers ago when Dr. Connie Frigo played David Lang's Press Release for me and four other people at the James Houlik retreat one night. I also felt it would be the strongest piece to close with.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The only difficulty I see in opening with Quate in general is that if you don't grab an audience's attention at the outset these days, you probably won't ever get it.

That's all it is, though: a difficulty. I'm sure that you (and DWoz -- he's quite a sensitive player himself) can pull off a compelling performance of a beautiful and underrated work such as Light of Sothis and little-by-little pull an audience into your performance.

Here's the real challenge for you now: program this publicly after your degree performance. Multiple performances of a repertoire test many aspects of your presentation, as I'm sure you well know, as we all learn from many of those who came before us.

You're a fine player, and you'll play a fine recital. Now see if you can pull it off multiple times in public. And let me know when it happens so maybe I can show up and enjoy it.;)

Angel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts