Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm putting together a recital to give this Fall/Winter. It will be my first -- if you are a Music Ed major here at WMU, you are not required to give one at all. I'd like to do it though, and would appreciate suggestions for a piece to close the classical section of the performance. Here's what I have in mind:

Sonata - Decruck

Epitaph for Jean Harlowe (Alto and Flute duet) - Koechlin

Caprice en forme de Valse - Bonneau

???

and I'd like to close with Original Rays by Michael Brecker

I have a few ideas for the missing link (Bolcom "Concert Suite" perhaps) but would like to hear suggestions. Concerto or something of equal length would work the best.

Thanks!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Henk Badings Concerto. Not long and gives you plenty diminished scale practice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
To me, your program is missing some "edge". Maybe something like the Hartley Duo or Denisov (Sonata or Deux Pieces) or Albright if you don't do Bolcolm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I argee with awholley. Albright would be a great choice, or Fuzzy Bird.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
A couple of pieces come to mind...

Desenclos - Prelude, Cadence, et Finale

Smith - Fantasia for alto saxophone and band (I'm going to continue to suggest this until someone actually plays it!)

Ibert - Concertino da Camera (I know, I know...but everyone should play this at least once...)

The Smith and Ibert are obviously not contemporary pieces, but if this is for an ed recital, you might consider them. If you have to take on students (in addition to directing a band or whatever) they are good pieces to have under your fingers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
Smith - Fantasia for alto saxophone and band (I'm going to continue to suggest this until someone actually plays it!)
If you can send me a pdf file I will play it, but there is little chance of it being performed...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I second Desenclos, that was another one I was thinking of.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great suggestions so far -- I have played Ibert, Smith, and Desenclos before (liked them all - especially the Smith, J.Max) but have not played the Albright. One to look into. Desenclos would give great edge and finality also. I'll have to look into the Badings, Hakukani - I have never heard it!

Thanks folks. Keep 'em coming!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
The Desenclos is a good idea. Also the Husa Elegie et Rondo.

I always enjoyed playing the Leslie Bassett 'Music for alto saxophone and piano'.

edit: spelling. (Thanks, angel)

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could also try the Heiden sonata. It's not a concerto, but it's an awful lot of fun!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Albright would be a great choice. It's recent, and it's not French. That and the Brecker tune could add great variety to the program. Also, if you're still planning to apply to Arizona, playing the hell out of it definitely wouldn't hurt you there...Not to mention, when played correctly, that second movement is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. Hope it goes well!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
You know what would be a REALLY cool piece? Steven Galante's "Saxsounds III (Diminishing Returns)". You'll need another person and some digital delay equipment, but if you're going to use an EWI...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
saxman_aja said:
Speaking of Original Rays, how're your EWI chops coming? :wink:
Haha, I wish I could develop them -- but it's tough to do without an EWI. I was thinking of getting my hands on an effects processor of some kind and maybe running my soprano through it? Or to save time, I could just omit the intro section altogether. We'll see ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts