Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could get any suggestions for the order of my pieces I will be playing on my senior recital in May.
My Rep is :
Milhaud- Scaramouche
Glazounov- Concerto in Eb
Ibert- Concertino da Camera
Debussy- Syrinx

Followed by a short Jazz Sax Quartet and a few Jazz combo pieces.

I was really just concerned with the order of the classical lit. Also where do you think I should put an intermission. I have ideas but just want to know what others think. Thanks

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
You're a brave musician to be playing two concertos on one recital! Plus Jazz!

I would do it this way:

Debussy
Ibert

Intermission

Glazounov
Milhaud

Jazz stuff
The Debussy and Milhaud could be reversed, but I think Milhaud is a good 'transition' to the jazz.
FWIW, I would drop one of the concertos.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That does seem like a lot of music. My rule-of-thumb is no more than a hours worth of music and its even better if you are under an hour including an intermission, time for applause, and space between pieces.

These are approximate times:
Debussy Syrinx 2:30
Milhaud: 8:00
Ibert: 12:00
Glazounov: 15:00
Intermission: 5:00
Combo setup: 3:00
TOTAL: 45:30

I'm not sure how many pieces your combo is doing or how long they are. You also have to factor in that your jazz quartet/combo needs a few minutes to set up. Maybe recitals at your school are over an hour usually and that might be just fine then. Just remember you always want to leave your audience wanting more, not burnt out from listening...

Good luck!

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's usually a bad idea to start a recital with an unaccompanied piece like the Debussy. I would suggest the following program order:

Milhaud, Glaz, Debussy, Ibert, Intermission, jazz

·
Registered
69 Posts
DWoz5000 said:
It's usually a bad idea to start a recital with an unaccompanied piece like the Debussy.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure that I'd start with this piece either, but not because it's unaccompanied. I rather like the idea of a modern prelude-equivalent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts