Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right or wrong, SOTW Forum was updated from vBulletin SW from v.4.0.3 to 4.0.6 yesterday.
This took (again) more time than expected, it was a three day ordeal. Except for very short periods, the forum was operational during the transaction.

Version 4.0.6 won't introduce much new functionality. This is mostly for patching security holes which have been discovered.

To my dismay I discovered that some basic functionality is broken. Most importantly multi-page thread and post viewing. After 20 posts there is no link to sub-sequent threads posts.

It looks now that this defaults has been reposted to vBulletin already. I have opened a separate support ticket with vBulletin, and am hoping for a rapid solution. If they cannot solve this they have to withdraw the 4.0.6 all together, in my opinion. we have an option to revert back to 4.0.3 but I'd like to wait for a few days before resorting to this.

Thanks for your patience and patronage,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,023 Posts
Harri...just FYI, right around that same time some other features of the site stopped working.

For example...I have an incoming friend requiest...but try as I may to add the member to my list via the usual means...nothing happens. The name never gets added.

Again, just FYI....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
This is a demonstration of an interesting dilemma facing social web sites...

While a site would like to test a new release before letting the users onto it... how do you do that without having a way to remix the new threads and old threads?

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
It's a good thing they don't build sax's like they do computer software ... never get much time to play as they'd always be in the shop

My hat's off to all those who work so hard to keep this site working ... it must take a huge amount of effort.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Thank you, Harri: I know how painful and frustrating these processes are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Thanks Harri. Remember: our rewards come either here or in the hereafter! :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
[arg:5 undefined] What is this?
PHP dropping it's pants... I'm sure Harri is onto it. While saxophones, automobiles and lots of toehr things we take for granted have had well over 100 years of development - software engineering is still at the model T phase - it breaks, needs care and attention and often does things that are quite odd.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Hari,
It appears that photos that were uploaded to posts before the upgrade are now not visible. This happened after the last upgrade too. Also the formatting of the layout on some pages is causing type to be overlaid ontop of other type. At least that is the case on my Inbox page. Is it possible to fix these glitches?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,680 Posts
Harri,
I know how frustrating working out all of the 'glitches' can be.
Would a 'world famous' bandmommy hug along with the asprin be of any help?

Thank you for working so hard so that we can have fun. You and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, the multi-page search results are now fixed with help of vBulletin support. Cannot say that there is any fault in vBulletin software. The problem was after all in third-party product although I thought that I ruled it out already once.

This forum platform by vBulletin is including now so many features and growing very complex at the same time. The managing between it, mySQL, PHP, and Apache (http) is getting very complex. I am going to wait for a while now before jumping to next release.

Thanks for all your reports, and for your patience and support,
~Harri

P.S. If you cannot see search results beyond 20 first ones, you may want to log out, close your browser and log back in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.