Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i dont see why vintage super 20s in Mint condition shouldnt command good prices....

·
Banned
864 Posts
Madness? Or another sign of the further devaluation of the dollar? These are some scary times. Can you say second Depression? Just when folks thought we were getting out of the woods, we find out that many states are still broke (or even worse--in many cases massively in debt).

Having said that, I wonder if there was some behind-the-scenes requests to ship the horn to Hong Kong, Japan or South Korea? I hear they have all our money now and are boldly "tweaking" the value of our currency to boot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,706 Posts
I dont think it shows devaluation. I think it illustrates that the "Haves" are being dramatically distanced from the "Have not's" and also from the "Have some's". I know that is political but it is frequently difficult to separate politics and economics. The bottom line is that amidst our severe recession there is a minority of persons who have prospered...and not necessarily independent of the expense of others.

On another note...Wow! Thats a lotta cash!

·
3,694 Posts
i dont see why vintage super 20s in Mint condition shouldn't command good prices....
+Super 20

I know these are great horns but that kind of money for a non double socket and no pearls, madness!
And I think the Silversonic horns you're talking about should easily break 5 figures... but that's me....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i think people are more comfortable without a double socket neck...less of a chance that it leaks

if you think a dolled up vintage king is beautiful check out a 40s or 50s Reynolds

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
don't forget guys/gals... mine's still for sale!!!

·
Banned
864 Posts
It's true that a very small number of folks may be doing well in these hard times (the same could be said during the first Depression), but the majority of those who pay most of the taxes and employ most of the people (i.e. small business) by and large are still not. That's why we--and the states--are in the situation we're in. When things do finally get better it will be because these folks are making more money and hiring more people who will in turn be paying taxes that can be used to pay school teachers and their benefits, pensions, etc.

When small business doesn't prosper, tax revenues fall. Also, people who are unemployed don't pay taxes that can be used to pay school teachers and fund underfunded public sector pensions (e.g. in California, Wisconsin, etc.).

But this is all pretty much econ 101.

And I STILL think that maybe that horn went overseas, and quite possibly to the Far East.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
good thing saxophones have been removed from the Inflation Index...

·
Banned
585 Posts
Regardless of the politics; beautiful horn...worth at least five g. As Bruce said...the seller got a good break. Gotta try harder to get my long awaited 20. Soon......a

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
....there are many instances of the double socket somehow getting out of whack...and leaking air

·
3,694 Posts
....there are many instances of the double socket somehow getting out of whack...and leaking air
Any neck tenon will eventually weaken if you put the mouthpiece on the neck AFTER putting the neck on the horn. Unfortunately for the horn, this is too common a practice. Take the neck off the horn even to adjust the mouthpiece for tuning. I've even seen some heavy players do this between songs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow that went pretty high. Must find those buyers and sell them my 427xxx players SS with 75% lacquer and ding repairs. They can't ruin that mint SS. And I will only charge $6K. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts