Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in the mail I received three Dkota MPs, a 5, a 6, and a 7. I promised I'd report.
I'm disappointed in all three. They squeak like mad except for the #7. The reason is because of VERY narrow side rails and narrow tip rail. Then to make matters worse, they polished/buffed the facing and table, and in doing so actually rounded off the already narrow rails. I think the #7 is better because, due to manufacturing inaccuracies the side rails and the tip rail actually came out wider and weren't rounded off by the buffing process. They all have a medium chamber and a very long lay. Not much in the way of a baffle, just a very slight lift just inside the tip. I could probably fix them by a careful refacing of the table and rails - shortening up the lay a bit and flattening out the rails, but to what end?
So how do they play? They're all a bit hard blowing and hard to control, esp. with my double-lip embouchure (so I played them with a "regular" emb.). They have a big sound, good bottom and brilliant top, but not much "pop".
They're all going back.
Just thought you'd all like to hear.
ATJ :cry:

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
wow--this doesn:t surprise me with Bari`s quality control but the one I played here in Japan at Ishimoris(a 6) was perfect--I just couldnt bring myself to pay the 120$ for it(exchange rates suck over here)...Sorry you didn:t have a good experience...the one I played sealed and popped like or better than ANY meyer I:ve played...

good luck!

Ryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts