Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a Mark VI tenor 196xxx, which I love, but want to get a solid second tenor for backup and/or variation. I don't have a big budget (want to keep it $1,000 or less), and recently came across a used Antigua 4240 Power Bell Tenor used for about $1k that looked appealing... but I'm unfamiliar with how these sound and feel; anyone have experience with these horns? Was also looking into Martin Indianas, which I've heard a lot of good things about. I do have an Antigua 586 soprano that's been great, but the tenor is my main axe and I do want something that's got some character sonically and will hold up. Interested to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
you should try both of them first, from what you wrote,that model # sounds like a new model from Antigau. Whcih is great,because the recent Antigua horns are one of the best for the value which they are selling.

However, it is a used horn, so you really need to chekc out the condition beofre you make your final decision.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just my two cents here, even though it's a really old post.
I have several The Indiana by Martin tenors, 1953, 55 and 52 and one 2009 Antigua TS4240AN Power Bell tenor.
I like my Antigua much better for classical compositions but feel that it's nowhere near the Martin's for jazz standards or R&B. As far as darkness and low end I feel that it's thinner.
Having said that, if you play a VI I think that you'll really feel comfortable with the Antigua Acton and keywork pretty quickly. Both are versatile with your mpc choice.
Please report back on what you decided!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts