Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Is there that much difference between the Comm III horns and the Imperials? Adjustable thumb rest is a plus but they really screwed-up the neck tenon, imo. I don't think they sound much different............
In a word, yes. I don't know about the body dimensions but significant factors are the tone holes and the neck.

I did a 'shoot out' with my '42 Handcraft Standard and '54 Committee 3 tenors and they do sound very much the same. I have a 1920 Martin tenor which does have different tonal qualities, however.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The more time I spend with this horn, the more I'm convinced these are the original pads. I'm wondering now if installing different pads (with flat metal resos) will hurt the resale value?

I mean, I HATE Buescher snap-in resos but some folks seriously de-value a Buescher TT that doesn't have the snaps.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The more time I spend with this horn, the more I'm convinced these are the original pads. I'm wondering now if installing different pads (with flat metal resos) will hurt the resale value?

I mean, I HATE Buescher snap-in resos but some folks seriously de-value a Buescher TT that doesn't have the snaps.
In a word, no. Pads are a wear item and it's expected that an 80 year old sax will not have the originals. Buescher snap-ins are different, because the snap-ins are hard parts and to eliminate them you have to mutilate the pad cups in a non reversible way. It's not the same thing at all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's what I assumed, but its just so rare to get a vintage horn in this condition with original pads that actually play.

Another question: what is the best way to describe/refer to this horn? Handcraft Imperial, of course, but their were many differences even in them. To further describe it would I say it is very similar to a Committee I? Does it more resemble a later Handcraft Imperial or an earlier (didn't they make these 1933 thru 1937ish?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Differences from a Handcraft Imperial. There are feature of an early Committee One (the early ones had a fixed thumb rest), but with the fork E flat still there. The bell key guards are Committee One, and so is this: the mechanism that leads to the low C sharp. On a H Imperial (and Standard), the rod going down to the C sharp ends below the bow join, and a straight lever goes to the pad. On yours, and the Committee One, the rod ends above the join, and the lever has that curve to get to pad.
The serial number is right at the point where the H. Imperial ended and the Committee One began. Looks like you've got some sort of rare transitional there! H. Imperial body, getting into Committee One keywork. Obscure engraving design too maybe. That is one fantastic find.
WIth resonators, flat metal would great. That will be a superb sax.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
^^^Excellent info, Thanks! So this is a "Handcraft Imperial/Committee One transitional". Perfect, now I know how to describe it.

Yeah, I have not seen this particular engraving anywhere else.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts