Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I've been playing on a jody jazz hr7* for about 3 years now, and I'm looking for a brighter mouthpiece to play for rock/r&b/gospel/funk.soul, that kinda thing. With that being said, I know that the sound comes from the player, blah blah etc, but I'm just looking for a bright mouthpiece to have some fun on, that wont break the bank.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Matt,

A bit brighter: D'Addario Select Jazz, Vandoren Java, Vandoren V16 Metal Small Chamber
A lot brighter: D'Addario/Rico Metalite, Vandoren Jumbo Java, Jody Jazz Jet

I could mention Berg Larsen 1 and 0 chambers, too, but a good one is harder to find.

Cheers!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Saxscape MB1 is quite bright and excellent. Not sure if it meets your budget, but it's very good value.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Try different reeds. If you like the piece you have, try some different reeds to see if that makes a difference

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
So I've been playing on a jody jazz hr7* for about 3 years now, and I'm looking for a brighter mouthpiece to play for rock/r&b/gospel/funk.soul, that kinda thing.
If you want to stick to hard rubber, you might want to keep an eye out for an RPC high baffled mouthpiece on the second hand market; so long as they haven't been altered.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a Bari WT II 8 metal alto piece that peels paint but still has a decent tone, not shrill. I think it was around $275 new, I ordered from the manufacturer in Florida 5 years ago or so; they sent me several facings for alto and tenor to try, I returned the ones I didn't like. I've been playing a stock HR Meyer 8 on alto for the past several years, I carry the Bari in my case, in case I need it.

Guys have told me that Durga is really the piece, and they get big sounds with them. Once the price goes over $500, I tend to lose interest. If I thought they'd make a big difference for me I'd try them, but I don't really think all the expensive stuff necessarily would. Although I did acquire an old tenor piece recently that works so much better than the same thing I've been playing I can hardly believe it -- both are 30+ year old Wolf Tayne metal, the new one's a 9, the old a 10. The 10 sounds better to my ears, but the 9 works a lot better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I highly recommend the Warburton LA pieces that were finished by Eric Falcon. You can generally find one for under $200, and they're fantastic hand finished pieces. Very versatile and generally play on the brighter side of things in my opinion, but not as bright as a Jet, Dukoff, or RPC type piece.

Best,
Nico

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
If you want to stick to hard rubber, you might want to keep an eye out for an RPC high baffled mouthpiece on the second hand market; so long as they haven't been altered.
+1

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I was recently at a wedding and during the cocktail hour there was a trio playing. Piano, Sax and singer. The sax setup was a Yamaha 875(original) and a Jody Jazz HR*8. He sounded really good. Nice warm,full sound. Then later when the dancing started he was in the 8 piece rock/r&b/gospel/funk/soul cover style band. He was playing into a mic and was cutting above the band for solos and had a fat, bright sound with the exact same setup. I think that JJ HR* can be pretty versatile.

Try Vandoren reeds Like the ZZ or Java Red. Vandoren, other than the Blue box reeds, generally play bright.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’ve had great luck with the D’Addario D8M (Jazz Select Line) for brighter. It is rather free blowing and gives a full sound. My experience with Vandoren (I’ve used both classical and Jazz pieces from them) is that they have a rather airy, tone quality which I do not prefer....though if you are trying to copy Coltrane, you might like Vandoren a lot. (Can sound like a honking goose sometimes).

The D’Addario Metalite series is so bright that it can be rather offensive if played with other instruments......I know one person who uses the Metalite in college marching band specifically because it is the only way he can hear what he is playing. When he uses a warmer mouthpiece, it is too hard for him to hear himself.

I’ve consistently played both Vandoren T75 and TL5 mouthpieces. I used them because they don’t take nearly as much air as the D’Addario or my Vintage Gregory......and so for the practical realities of life, they are very useful.

The Metalite are inexpensive mouthpieces ($35). The vandorens and d’addarios Can be found for $150 - $200 normally for HR. If your budget is larger, you have a lot more options.

·
Registered
378 Posts
if you can afford it for tenor try the Black Widow on alto I have a showtime that sound awesome and im playing 6 nights a week in a r and b funk band. All of these are made by 10m fan. If you can find one a Datta is also a good piece for this very much like MBII.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
A Saxscape Live definitely fits your description. You would find the Saxscape to be a blend of what your used to on your current mouthpiece mixed with a guardala vibe. It has a lot of power with a solid core making it very comfortable blending in horn lines in loud settings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts