Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I play way way better than when I played for a living. Ships, Shows, and all that. Any ideas on getting my name out there for more calls. I mean my students at the University I teach partime at are working way more than me.

The five years I was a full-time teacher and hardly played just killed my rep. Sent out a lot of emails and got great responses. So I guess I've got to wait to sub and get the word out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,858 Posts
You didn't say what kind of work you were looking for, but networking is the key. Sub, sit-in, open mic nites, anything at first just to get your name out there and meet people. You'll get pickup gigs and sub work, and things will grow from there. Once you have a reasonable volume of gigs you can narrow them down to just the style/venues you want to play.

Open a MySpace page (free) to put up some pics and recordings you'd want people to hear, and make sure to put the URL on your business card along with phone and email address. You can get high quality perforated biz card paper now and make a good business card on your computer at home. Pass out cards to every musician you meet when sitting in, etc.

None of that stuff alone will bring in gigs (except the networking), but if you put them all together you'll have a pretty good PR machine going that will get you noticed, eventually by the right people.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts
Make sure your advertising method makes it clear that you are experienced, a sight reader and professional musician. Your students may be working more than you but I bet it is not quality work for good bread. Is St. Louis much of a union town? Sounds to me like you should be able to get some union work with your credentials.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steady jazz gig for the summer on Thursday nights and playing with the top wedding corporate band in town tonight things are turning around.

CB

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worked out some lessons and combo coaching at one of the best high school programs in town. August gig schedule looks pretty good. Some other stuff too. Making more than the teacher salary this month and September so hopefully I can avoid any subbing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts