Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bari needs a repad, which I won't attempt---I'm looking fo a local shop that can handle that---but it's case stinks. It isn't the original case for the sax (a Buescher TT ) so I don't think I'd have anything to loose by trying to repad and reline the case myself as the wood shell seems to be pretty sound and besides the exterior cover has "Cabrillo High" painted in red (knd of coll looking IMHO) If I take measurements and duplicate the locations of the original padding I'm hoping to make it a nice safe home for my bari. My question is---has anyone here done something like this? Any tips or suggestions? Where can I get and what materials should I use for padding relining my bari case?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Go to a hobby lobby or some other place that carries batting (I think the polyester stuff would be fine). I suspect that a dense but forgiving foam would work as well. Pick a fabric you like. I used hot glue to put everything in place.

I have done one case on a vintage Kohlert of mine. Not the greatest looking case inside but it gets the job done.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I am having it done now.
You need some big chunks of styrofoam to carve out and put in strategic places around the underside of the horn for support, then put good foam around all that. Use glue to secure it in place.
On the styro pieces, I recommend at the top and under the curl, 3 along the main body tube, one big one at the bow, two under the bell and one at the top of the bell.

Buy some velvet and hot glue it in over top that. Be sure to tuck the edges of the velvet behind the styrofoam and foam pieces before you glue them permanently in place.

You can pick up good latches at the hardware store that can be riveted in place.
The hardest to find is the piano hinge for the case lid. If that isn't available, try 4 to 5 regular hinges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts