Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that it would be interesting to hear from members of this community on why they enjoy Jazz. Your favorite artist, song, arrangement (links please?), story or quality of Jazz are all welcomed. Please keep this thread about the reasons that you enjoy Jazz, and not about negative views of Jazz. :bluewink:
I'll go first:
I love Jazz because of the fun in performing it. Concert bands are fun and the music is great, but there is nothing like standing up for a solo in front of a crowd, and telling your story. Jazz music creates an exciting and dynamic bond with the listener, and no other music has ever recreated that feeling for me.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Fun and challenging to play
Fun and challenging to listen to.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Word. How bout some good news.

It's always great to hear a band with alot of *gears* like Miles' 2nd quintet. One of my favorite moments in jazz happens on Miles In Antibes - All of You, Herbie's solo.

When you hear it, you'll know.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
The unpredictability of what's going to happen and the creative act of making it happen in total individual and collective freedom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The unpredictability of what's going to happen and the creative act of making it happen in total individual and collective freedom.
Pretty much. The reason I love jazz is a pretty inexplicable one. I just love it; it has that certain something that makes it great (good jazz at least).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
So much vitality, creativity, positive energy, and genuine human feeling is in it. In a world of types, stereotypes and marketing, jazz offers us the possibility of transcendence. Jazz is not a limited or limiting music, it is not the "property" of any era or group or place, but it is something that reaches each of us in our own way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jazz is a "thinking man's" music. It is complex, rich, full of life and soul, and the style I favor most (hard-bop/be-bop) is original and challenging.
For me it all just fits -- it all sounds good. I don't have a problem with other styles, but I prefer the stuff out of the 50's and early 60's.

My favorite player/band(s) is/was Horace Silver. The man's a flippin' genius, and I feel honored to have shaken his hand when I saw him live some years ago. Not too many of those guys survived, but he kept it clean and straight and had the grip of a vise.

In 1995 I won a trip to the North Sea Jazz Festiva in Den Haag. I was most impressed with George Shearing. What a phenominal gentleman and musician.

The two players I would have felt honored to have met would have been Dexter Gordon and Stan Getz...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
It swings! I like the individuality of the players especially when you compare it to classical music which I also love. I love the combination of improvisation and arrangements. I love the instrumentation. I love the fact that is very rhythmic but also very harmonically advanced

·
2,870 Posts
I also love the fact that even though it's an American art form that it has so much appeal internationally

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
The most sophisticated mix of authority and democracy, of individuality and teamwork. Miles 5tet again as an example.
And no other form of art, whatever, brings tears the way jazz does. Dexter Gordon playing "Don't Explain"....
What else ?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
Playing over changes and creating a new composition each time I play through improvisation.

B

·
6,862 Posts
In addition to listening to the music, I really love reading about Jazz history.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Jazz allows me to be me. No one expects nor wants me to 'play it just like the record'!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I love Jazz for such a long time now that I forgot why...

I guess it really boils down to the 'instant improvising'. There's nothing, nothing at all, that is so exciting and fun as following the music, when Jazz musicians go through a song. A great band - in my view - toys with that, suggesting, teasing, confounding your expectations. A swift chasing a bug, a swallow exploring.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
It's just such a great formula for keeping a tune going. You don't need lyrics. It's great for 'dinner music' or at a party because it allows members of the audience to be as involved as they want, listening intently to one hot soloist, maybe just foot-tapping when shotgun blows a few choruses, then getting back into it when the whole band is trading fours.

·
3,232 Posts
Some really great responses thus far. i agree with so many of them. i think there is no other buzz like spontaniously creating music with other players and something magical happens. Playing improvised music is the only real (total) bliss i have ever experienced. i do not contend it is always this way, it is obviously not, but when it happens, and everyone -players and audience- realize it: wow! Clearly my drug of choice.

·
1,103 Posts
The first time I heard it, I loved it. Over the years I've learned to love all of the different periods of it. I keep finding new reasons to love it. It actually helped me to learn to enjoy other types of music. I keep learning from it. It expanded my small world of experience. It allowed me to check out and learn about other cultures. It allowed me to see the world. It taught me humility. It gave me confidence. Did I forgot to mention that I love jazz?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts