Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one going in my area for £2500 (GBP). Just wondering if that sounds like a good price?

I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know whether it will need any work doing, but it's from a reputable store. I'm very inexperienced in vintage saxes, I've just played a few of my friends'. I've liked the couple of Conns I've tried, and so was considering getting one. Because of my inexperience it would make more sense for me to try several examples before buying, but if you were to tell me that is a good price then I might consider going for it (once I've tried it in person, of course). I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be too much trouble to sell again if after a while I decided I didn't want it? Alternatively if this price is ok, but not particularly a bargain, then I would probably just try it but wait and also try and find some others to test as well before making the investment.

·
Registered
604 Posts
That's around $4,000.00 USD, which is a pretty good price even if the horn needs a little work. If it comes with a fairly fresh repad and has been recently adjusted, that's a very good price. If it has a new mechanical overhaul, that's a WONDERFUL price.

However, your chances of finding several 30Ms to compare are pretty slim. These are not so common that I'd expect to find even two in the same area at the same time to check out. Your best bet is to compare it to the horn you're playing now. Be prepared for a much bigger sound, and a lushness of tone not found on many other horns. Also, be prepared for quite a different feel ergonomically. This initial discomfort will go away as you become for familiar with the 30M, so don't let it scare you off.

If you decide to move to the 30M, then you can try other 30Ms after you get yours, and keep upgrading to a better (for you) horn. Just like most vintage horns, some 30Ms play better than others, and that "better" is often as different as the player who is playing the horn at any given time. Good luck, and enjoy!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
With the 30m, even if you don't like it, you will be able to sell it for as much if not more than you bought it easily. Like JB said, there aren't a whole lot of them on any market at any given time, so they usually go pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
£2500 is not a bargain but seems a fair price if it is in good condition. I sold my 30m here in the UK for a little bit more than that price but mine was almost mint condition and had just had a full overhaul.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,982 Posts
That's around $4,000.00 USD, which is a pretty good price even if the horn needs a little work.
For that price, it should need absolutely NOTHING, actually.

$3000-3200usd can get you one which needs work. The equivalent of $4g should get you a 30M which is in great physical condition (i.e. no dents, minimal dings, lacquer over 50%, tube straight) and playing shape (no leaks, speaking up and down easily, keywork snappy).

If it's a relacquer, by chance, shave $300-400 off of the above.

With perhaps the exception of the 26M...the 30M is the rarest of Conns (save it, wiseguys..am not talking about the Conn-O-Sax). They are basically pimped-out 10M's.

You may wanna also try some 10M's if you get the chance, as well as maybe a Chu (New Wonder II c. 1926-29) or Tranny (c. 1929-33) or even some older 16M's (the usa-made ones) or Pan Americans (16M's before they were called 16M's). That would give you a nice overview of Conn Tenors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts