Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sax to sell. I have been a "member" for several years. I don't post as I have far less to contribute than other members. I thought this would be a good place to find the right kind of buyer. Oh, well. Check one of my 19 posts to see what I will be selling. Too bad.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,341 Posts
Check one of my 19 posts to see what I will be selling. Too bad.
Your last post requesting permission to the marketplace and this post are the only two. It’s been too many years since your last post and they don’t show anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But not long enough to access the marketplace.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You just haven't contributed enough to the forum - instead of complaining, why don't you participate a bit? The rules are the same for everyone :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
You seem to be having some trouble in life, in order to come here and bash on the forum. If you would like, the member lounge welcomes you to talk about your problems ;)

Regarding the amount of time you're here and the post quantity, well, you may have been here registered for 5 years, but some people also sign up for the gym and don't go there, and even pay for it! Crazy stuff really. Also, we don't want people coming here just to buy and sell stuff, for that you have a lot of options readily available outside the forum.

·
4,341 Posts
But not long enough to access the marketplace.

You have met the requirement of 6 months. The other day when you asked why you couldn’t get into the market place you were at 19 post. The average was 4.25 a year. A couple more and you will be at your all-time high for a year and in just the first three months of your sixth year. Go baby Go! 29 more ! Try these. And have a little fun.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?353722-What-shows-do-you-watch-while-you-re-shedding
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?4905-what-artist-first-made-u-wanna-play-the-saxophone
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ctice-so-that-you-get-it-right-the-first-time

·
4,341 Posts
Actually making lots of posts purely to get marketplace access will be noticed as irrelevant, get reported by other members and moderator action can kick in.

Many members are not happy when someone just posts stuff that is obviously trying to build up a post count
And we know who they are

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,366 Posts
I think it unlikely those would count: (50 posts relevant to saxophone or some aspect of music making. This does not include very short, irrelevant or "+1" type posts)

1. Marketplace eligibility

Eligibility for both viewing and participtaing in the for sale and want to buy sections are determined by:

a. If you were a member prior to June 16, 2013, you should have Marketplace Privileges regardless of your post count.*
b. For those members joining aft June 16, 2013, Marketplace Privileges are attributed after six months AND 50 posts relevant to saxophone or some aspect of music making. This does not include very short, irrelevant or "+1" type posts that are merely added to increase post count. Repeatedly making such posts will be viewed, and dealt with, as spam.

A minimum of fifty (50) relevant forum posts required in order to participate in Marketplace. Please understand the purpose of this rule is to establish you as a legitimate saxophone player/enthusiast. When deciding whether or not to deal with you, most SOTW members want some assurance that you are in fact a fellow sax enthusiast, and not someone who might have less than honorable intentions. Your forum posting history helps establish that. THIS IS NOT CRAIG'S LIST.

If in the judgment of SOTW staff you appear to be adding frivolous posts just to reach the 50-post minimum, we reserve the right to deny you access to Marketplace.

* Those who qualify, but need their permissions changed to access will still have to contact the staff to have this manually changed. Those who already qualify will be unaffected by this change, and still have full access.

Those who try to solicit or encourage using the forum's PMing feature or post ads outside of the Marketplace in order to avoid this restriction will have their offending posts deleted, and an infraction up to and including a full ban issued.

Examples:

• If you do not yet have marketplace privileges, you may ask general advice about buying a saxophone, but you may not ask either directly, or by implication, if anyone can sell you one. Nor may you mention you are selling one.
  • Members who respond in such threads, or via PM, offering an instrument for sale or about to be for sale or are in breach of this rule.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I think it unlikely those would count: (50 posts relevant to saxophone or some aspect of music making. This does not include very short, irrelevant or "+1" type posts)
I had no idea that there were levels of participation.

I had supposed that the games were considered significant.

I am sorry for misquoting the rules, and I am glad my misstatement got corrected.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,366 Posts
I had no idea that there were levels of participation.

I had supposed that the games were considered significant.

I am sorry for misquoting the rules, and I am glad my misstatement got corrected.
These new marketplace access rules are actually member driven, admins didn't do it just to be officious, it was after feedback from members about people joining purely to sell stuff without participating in the community. That is something that would actually devalue the marketplace and the trust members have in doing transactions there.

Shortly after the rules came in there was a flurry of +1, one word (game) posts and various spammy attempts to circumvent or find loopholes in the rules. Hence the line about relevant saxophone or music posts.

If you've ever seen one of these attempts where the new posts list is more or less taken over by one member posting +1 every minute, you'd understand why people complain about it. If someone does that mods can deletes those posts, reduce the offender's post count, ban them or ban them from ever having access to marketplace etc.

Again, it's not mods throwing their weight around, it is in response to what members have asked for. We will continue to listen to members' feedback, it is a much better way to formulate rules based on member suggestions rather than to just appear to be fascist about things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
These new marketplace access rules are actually member driven, admins didn't do it just to be officious, it was after feedback from members about people joining purely to sell stuff without participating in the community. That is something that would actually devalue the marketplace and the trust members have in doing transactions there.

Shortly after the rules came in there was a flurry of +1, one word (game) posts and various spammy attempts to circumvent or find loopholes in the rules. Hence the line about relevant saxophone or music posts.

If you've ever seen one of these attempts where the new posts list is more or less taken over by one member posting +1 every minute, you'd understand why people complain about it. If someone does that mods can deletes those posts, reduce the offender's post count, ban them or ban them from ever having access to marketplace etc.

Again, it's not mods throwing their weight around, it is in response to what members have asked for. We will continue to listen to members' feedback, it is a much better way to formulate rules based on member suggestions rather than to just appear to be fascist about things.

Well, I am not complaining.

1. I have not played the word games, so I have nothing invested there.

2. I would not be a moderator on this forum for any money. I would be more successful at herding cats from horseback.

3. Thank you all very much for the work you do.

4. I can see perfectly well why these rules are in place, now that it has been pointed out. I had not given the matter any thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, because I don't make pointless comments, I must have been laying in wait to sneak into the marketplace. I have been playing Herr Sax's instrument for over 50 years, have lost the use of my left arm and am considering giving up my long-time horn. This forum would have given me access to players that would appreciate the instrument, rather than collectors (hoarders?) in Asia. Getting tons of money isn't my main goal, although I'm sure I could. I appreciate this forum more than I can express, and am a better musician and saxophonist because of the time I have spent here. However, as a hippie growing up in the sixties and seventies, I find this type of arbitrary rule obnoxious. It should be obvious that I have not been laying in wait to spring into the marketplace for some nefarious purpose. I'm not that patient. I guess eBay will have to do, and the possibility of making sure it gets to a player will depend on the depth of their pockets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.