1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Dude -- if anyone will describe your sound as a "ravishing tone," you're doing something right.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,479 Posts
Lennie P. is one of those great players who shows playing soulful long notes and simple repetitive ideas can be very effective when played with emotion. I do think that he is firmly established in the trenches with the late greats Rusty Bryant and Eddie Harris in that respect.

On a side note the interviewer gives the willies!

B

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the link; there is much more interesting material here. This artist is realy amazing: Jerome Cooper! (And Phoebe has found her role as interviewer). Please watch this:

http://vimeo.com/11569846

This is a musician with realy something to say.IMHO.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,569 Posts
Excellent link, though I agree with Modman that the interviewer is CREEPY!

I almost didn't click on the thread because I thought it would be "careless whisper guy" again...So glad I did though.

·
2,640 Posts
Lenny is one of the fue guys that don't sound like a duck on a Berg. He actually has a full sound which I don't hear from most berg players. Bergs have a a built in cheesey core to the sound which kind of works if you play a Yamaha and you want to sound like you are playing a selmer. He sounds like he is playing a link for the most part. The best way to ruin a good Selmer sound is to play a Berg on it. Some how Lenny gets a great sound on his set up. A berg is the worst thing to ever happen to Sonny Rollins.

·
2,640 Posts
Excellent link, though I agree with Modman that the interviewer is CREEPY!

I almost didn't click on the thread because I thought it would be "careless whisper guy" again...So glad I did though.
She reminds me of the guy on Inside the Actors Studio. I love watching the old SNL were Will Ferral makes fun of him.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Lenny is one of the fue guys that don't sound like a duck on a Berg. He actually has a full sound which I don't hear from most berg players. Bergs have a a built in cheesey core to the sound which kind of works if you play a Yamaha and you want to sound like you are playing a selmer. He sounds like he is playing a link for the most part. The best way to ruin a good Selmer sound is to play a Berg on it. Some how Lenny gets a great sound on his set up. A berg is the worst thing to ever happen to Sonny Rollins.
I think Coleman Hawkins, Booker Ervin and Yusef Lateef blow away Pickett as far as tone is concerned on a Berg.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Why does this tune feel so weird? What's the time on it? I keep counting 6 but it still doesn't feel right.

EDIT: The first one I mean.

·
2,118 Posts
What? Played one for 20 years - sounded way better on it than you ever will on your Barone...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
She is the person interviewing Lenny. Quite good, don't you think?
She's reading poorly, she's badly lit from below and to the side, and she sounds like she's on drugs or suffering from brain damage.

·
2,640 Posts
What? Played one for 20 years - sounded way better on it than you ever will on your Barone...
Hey good for you, you are probably one of the hand full of guys that sound good on one. I knew I would catch some grief for this. I have been getting a sound very close to Mintzer and Brecker on the Jaco brithday album and that is my sound concept so I don't think I can agree with you. In fact I can pretty much match each players tone when I play along with the record. I can always get better and I have long ways to go but I don't think that playing a berg on my Classic, which sounds almost exactly like a VI by the way, would get me anywhere near as close to the sound I want or be as flexible.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,569 Posts
OUCH! That is bordering on a rude/ fighting post, don't you think SMJ? A broad/ generalized opinion is fine, but a personal attack on someone we have to assume you don't know is a little out of line.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
She's reading poorly, she's badly lit from below and to the side, and she sounds like she's on drugs or suffering from brain damage.

I think you're right- too much hair light with the wrong color correction. She also needs to lose some of the accessories, and get the hair out of her face. She reads the copy like Shatner.

Gads, that lighting makes her look like a negative Elvira.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts