Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm looking for a budget microphone to amplify my clarinet (hopefully a saxophone in the future). And i saw this post https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-clipon-microphone.
It shows how to clip on the Realistic 33-1063 wich is this one : View attachment 210481

In ebay there's only one seller with that one in stock, and it's not in very good condition. So my question is, could i achieve a similar sound with the little brother of the Realistic, the 33-1052.
It seems to be similar frequencies and hopefully sound as good as the 1063. This is the 1052: View attachment 210489

Anyone here have any recomendations? Should i go with the used 1063 or go with the brand new 1052. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't need something over 30 bucks, whenever i have the chance i like to place 2 dynamic microphones (sm57) to the clarinet. But sometimes like in a jam it's nice to have a clip on to carry around so i can play at normal volume without being overpowered by saxophones or trumpets. I'm saving for a soprano sax so i don't wanna go over that budget. Thanks anyways.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
'Realistic' was the old Radio Shack brand. Their 'tie pin' and 'tie clip' mics were pretty much the minimum quality you would need to pick up the speaking voice of the wearer, and would definitely not be adequate for a wind instrument which most likely would severely over-drive them resulting in mostly distortion.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,904 Posts
'Realistic' was the old Radio Shack brand. Their 'tie pin' and 'tie clip' mics were pretty much the minimum quality you would need to pick up the speaking voice of the wearer, and would definitely not be adequate for a wind instrument which most likely would severely over-drive them resulting in mostly distortion.
Ah but did you see the article?

The one I referenced is actually very good and compares well with some very expensive mics.

But it is just that specific one, not Radio Shack tie pin mics in general.

This is something I found out about from a couple of very top sound engineers.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Agreed. Realistic brand microphones were essentially budget microphones that made noise although not especially pleasant. A Realistic clip-on will be only for voice. Forget about any fidelity.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Yepper, but those were all desirable qualities when I was using one on my Conn soprano in the ‘70s, and running it through a Dunlop wah pedal.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yepper, but those were all desirable qualities when I was using one on my Conn soprano in the ‘70s, and running it through a Dunlop wah pedal.
Didn't Miles Davis do something like that in the 70's with distortion and an amp?

·
28,904 Posts
Agreed. Realistic brand microphones were essentially budget microphones that made noise although not especially pleasant. A Realistic clip-on will be only for voice. Forget about any fidelity.
Again, have you tried the one we are talking about? You are right that many of them were no good at all for anything apart from voice, but not the one that is the subject of this thread.

In the microphone blind shootout 24% of people thought it actually sounded better than the £4000 AKG C12, even more preferred it over the Oktava ribbon.

See here:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?173807-Sax-mic-shootout-which-do-you-prefer

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Again, have you tried the one we are talking about? You are right that many of them were no good at all for anything apart from voice, but not the one that is the subject of this thread.

In the microphone blind shootout 24% of people thought it actually sounded better than the £4000 AKG C12, even more preferred it over the Oktave ribbon.

See here:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?173807-Sax-mic-shootout-which-do-you-prefer
Knowing the history and reputation of Realistic brand, most probably haven't tried it. I suppose with this insider info, more might try it now. There goes the price............:razz:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, only the 1063 would work, even if the 1052 has the same specs (not entirely sure) but it is very similar.

·
28,904 Posts
So, only the 1063 would work, even if the 1052 has the same specs (not entirely sure) but it is very similar.
I can't answer that as I've only tested the 1063. I trust my ears and the ears of these (top) sound engineers that use them as opposed to looking at specs which mean nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts