Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on having a major mechanical rebuild of my horn and I want to upgrade to a better case from the Protec I use for daily life and the SKB use for heavy road travel and flying. My Mark VI doesn't quite fit those cases perfectly and I think my body tube is bent as either a result of handling when it has been gate-checked in the SKB and/or I've looked through every review I could find on wwbw, amazon, and whatever I could find here and there seem to be relatively mixed reviews about reliability, but I'm not sure that all reviewers have put the case through the rigorous use involved with traveling. I've spoken with a few local pros in Detroit that have travelled with their BAM and one has had the privilege of being able to carry it on in an overhead and the other has been the first I've spoken to that's put it through real touring use including 12 weeks of being tossed on and off the bus, being checked out the counter, and shipped overseas, all of which have left the case and horn unscathed. I've also read reviews that the hardware for the straps on the case, latches, and hinges can degrade and fail in some cases.

Essentially I'm planning on spending $1000 on a case in the near future that will protect my horn from most calamities that I also hope to not have to replace for a very long time. My choices are the BAM and a Manning and if it is possible to get similar, if not the same results, from a BAM, I would prefer to not have to add the cost of driving from Detroit to San Francisco to have a case built, but if the BAM will wear out on me and I'll have to pay for repairs after 2 years of ownership, per their policy, then I'll end up biting the bullet and making the trip happen. If their are any long time, heavy-traveling owners of the BAM out there I would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had my tenor in a softpack for years, and the case was very used when I got it. I bring it with me to work almost every day, I've shipped it, taken it to gigs all over the place, and really just beat on it, and it's still working great. The zippers are still smooth and it hasn't really shown any wear other than the black rubberish material on the back peeling off. I'd highly recommend their cases.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
I have the Bam hi tech bari case. I’ve never taken it on a flight but used it on the ground in Los Angeles to many gigs and rehearsals. It seems to be the lightest and best balanced Case around. The wheels work really well. But, yes, one of the latches broke the first month I had it. I wrote to the Bam distributor here in The USA about the latch and they never responded. Still, all in all I like the case a lot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
But, yes, one of the latches broke the first month I had it. I wrote to the Bam distributor here in The USA about the latch and they never responded. Still, all in all I like the case a lot.
My experience with BAM distributor/customer service (Carole Boutry) has been positive. Try calling, the number 201 342 7700.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For what it's worth... I have repaired many horns that got dumped, bumped, tossed or crushed in their cases and I've personally toured using BAM cases for my tenor Mark VI, an Alto Mark VI, an alto Big Bell sax (I mention this because it throws off some case designs to have a big bell design), and a S80III soprano. I've also toured using Protec, Selmer pro cases. I find BAM to be exceptionally well built and safe cases. They are my go to and great value for the money.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to own the silver BAM hightech that fit both low-A and Bb horns when I had my yamaha 62 (which I sold as a case and horn package).
I have the black low-a only version of the Bam for selmer Baris, my MK VI lives in it.
I have an SKB case for my conn 12m (has been problematic).

The quality of the shell on the BAM cases is much higher than the SKB - more resistant to flex, and sturdier, despite the fact that the BAM case profile is smaller than the SKB. The Selmer-BAM case has padding to hold and support the body of the instrument in the right places, preventing movement. The silver Bam case also did well with the Yamaha, though I did have one rather memorable ordeal with an airport handler who threw heavy luggage - my upper bow had to be resoldered, but the horn worked even before that repair was completed.

The SKB Case is lined with a rigid styrofoam mold, which is glued to to the shell - and is not the right profile for the Conn horn, leading me to customize this case in order to fit the conn). That said, one of the straps failed as i threw the case on my back - the case bounced off the pavement, and the horn had bent. Luckily, my tech got it back to perfection.

My vote goes for the BAM - if my conn would fit it, I would be getting that case. since it wont, I'm waiting for the new protec bullet bari case that's due to be released this August.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I bought a BAM soft pack case for my tenor in 2007. I bought the same case for alto in 2015. The tenor case has probably been on 25-30 flights. It has been put in and out of cars hundreds of times. I don’t just have the horn sitting in the case at home, that’s for sure. The case was made to fit a Mark VI as I understand it, so my sax fits in the case perfectly.
The cases are like $250-300 I think, which is 1/3 the price of those custom made cases. I am talking about the BAM softpack case, not one of the other newer ones they offer.

So to answer your question, I have been living with a BAM tenor case for over a decade with no issues.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
I have had my BAM Hightech Bari Case for over ten years now. There are scuffs and scrapes on the outside of the case. The two coverings that fit over the plates that hold two of the handles to the casse body fell off almost immediately after buying the case, but they are more cosmetic than anything. These cases are not flight cases. They are better than any commercially available cases on the market currently, but I do not think I would ever toss one onto a curb or check it through on a flight. The only case I would ever check my bari through on an airline would be an Anvil case. I do not think I would trust the BAM for that or really any other case out there. These cases are worth the price. I highly recommend them to all Baritone Saxophonists . I have never had a problem with the latches, the hinges, the handles, the interior, the exterior, nothing other than the two covers and they just snapped into place. These are just great cases.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I BOARD...with my bari sax all the time. Mostly with this BAM case.

I sometimes ship a Glenn Chromkite gig bag FedX to the hotel for easy street use, maybe.

Please and thank you works wonders in airports, check it out.

Most times, I board ahead, and always speak to the people in a even tone, ask for assistance if need and let then know THEY ARE IN CHARGE. It is a easy thing...and please and thank you always works.

SOUTHWEST...Is my " go to"...they let me board early and all that. If I do_gate check_I take mouthpiece- neck- reeds etc out of case.

I use on tenor...a PELICAN CASE.....Worth it. 1000%. I'm going to get one in September for my baritone. The BAM I love because I use
LOW A and LOW Bb depends on gig- and my mood via what I got to do.

PELICAN...I use TSA lock on- only airport I got hassle with was Philly- they sawed the lock off as they were to lame to use the TSA key.
That said- So what. I bought a new lock...So it goes.

In my case- I love the BAM - Gate check only ok!!!!!

PELICAN...it is what it is- my tenor case is stealth. Not a hard case to lift and fits cabs- vans etc etc. if I leave the house
with a Bari sax...It's WORK ain't no vacation lol- So all my $$$ for over charges and so on I add in my fee. Usually...there are no issues- I insure with 800-VIVALDI.

HTH...

My friend Johnny Williams- retired after 40 years in Basie Band- plus!!! Told me every time he went to the airport with a bari- his heart went into his stomach.
That sais it all-

WE DO THIS BECAUSE WE LOVE IT....God bless anyone walking into a airport with ANY instrument case these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts