Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got giftet an iPad and am now looking for digital versions of the realbooks. I am using forScore as a reader, since it seems to be he only one of the readers that support indexes, that also has a halfway decent interface. I have the 5th edition bb realbooks as PDFs, but there aren’t any indexes available anywhere that work with them properly and rewriting the indexes would take days. Also, the 5th edition realbooks are barely readable. I know that the vol. 1 of the new real book is available as pdf, but I am looking for either all three new or regular realbook volumes.

Can anyone help me?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have "iReal Pro" on my iPad. Mine is oriented toward traditional jazz (so-called Dixieland) but I suspect there are other versions oriented toward other forms of jazz, swing, etc.

It has a lot of tunes included, plus the ability to speed up or slow down, change keys, and change rhythm patterns. Even though I don't use it, it is still a neat program. DAVE

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have "iReal Pro" on my iPad. Mine is oriented toward traditional jazz (so-called Dixieland) but I suspect there are other versions oriented toward other forms of jazz, swing, etc.

It has a lot of tunes included, plus the ability to speed up or slow down, change keys, and change rhythm patterns. Even though I don't use it, it is still a neat program. DAVE
It doesn’t have the heads though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Truth, iReal Pro doesn't have the heads

I love iReal when I am comping/ soloing behind vocalists, but it doesn't do the job for me on instrumental gigs, so I am in much the same predicament you are in... look forward to a workable answer here

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I guess you are correct about that - no melody-lines. That never bothered me because I know hundreds of trad-jazz tunes in MY head and don't read them off music when I play them. The chords are handy for when I'm playing with someone else who doesn't know the chords. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
IReal used to have the heads but somebody make them take it off.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
IReal used to have the heads but somebody make them take it off.
Copyright issues. You can't copyright chord changes though, which is how all those be-bop tunes using familiar changes came about.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
I recently got giftet an iPad and am now looking for digital versions of the realbooks. I am using forScore as a reader, since it seems to be he only one of the readers that support indexes, that also has a halfway decent interface. I have the 5th edition bb realbooks as PDFs,
Real Book is available for Kindle, so with a Kindle app on iPad I think that should work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts