Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I really value your opinions and just sold my Bundy II so I am looking for a pro horn and some suggestions. Here is what I would ideally like.

Something a pro would enjoy playing (one day I"ll grow up to be a pro). :)
Sax that is not too valuable to be stolen or get a mist from the beach spray.
Modern keywork
Great intonation
Well suited for creamy smooth jazz. (feel free to recommend mpc too)
$500 -$800 range preferred if possible.
Ready to play and not needing any work.
Used is fine of course.

Thanks for any ideas !
John

·
Banned
353 Posts
I recommend a Vintage Mark VI Alto. Man, But, those things cost a fortune.
They cost around $2000 to $18000. They have modern but vintage key work.

You should loan money to buy a Mark VI.

There is no such thing as a Pro Horn in the $500-$800 range.
The majority of professional saxes cost $2000 and up.

A Mark VI Alto with a JodyJazz 7 Metal Alto Saxophone mouthpiece and a Rico Royal 2.5 reed is a good combination for jazz. If not, try Rico Jazz Select reeds 2M.

A Mark VI is valuable. Here's my word of advice- As long as you never take your eyes off an expensive saxophone like the Mark VI it won't be stolen. A Mark VI is like having a million dollar ferrari, as long as you look after it, take care of it, appreciate it, embrace it and never take your eyes off something valuable like that, it will not fall in the wrong hands, it will not be stolen.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR INSTRUMENT UNATTENDED!!!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO HAVE A WELL KNOWN PRO HORN, EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T A MARK VI.

If you are looking for something in the $3,000 dollar range, look for a Yamaha Custom Z Alto.

Another piece of advice: BUY YOUR PROFESSIONAL HORNS PERSONALLY, AT A MUSIC STORE.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
Here's my word of advice...
Worth everything that one pays for free advice...

A Buescher TT is a fine playing, great sounding horn.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a Martin Handcraft Alto with almost new black roo pads, ready to play.
It 's not a looker (lacquer is mostly gone) but it has the Martin sound - it's a player's horn. I guess it would do great for "creamy smooth jazz". I've used a Meyer, a Rico Metalite and a metal mouthpiece on it, with good results in different styles.
No dents, solders or mechanical issues.
It is in your price range.
PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Why did you get rid of the bundy to then go shop for another horn in the bundy price range?

You'd have been better off investing in a good mouthpiece for the bundy.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Martins have a great sound.....except the key work isn't really "modern". I absolutely hate my Martin tenors left pinkie thing mech.

I have a Martin Handcraft Alto with almost new black roo pads, ready to play.
It 's not a looker (lacquer is mostly gone) but it has the Martin sound - it's a player's horn. I guess it would do great for "creamy smooth jazz". I've used a Meyer, a Rico Metalite and a metal mouthpiece on it, with good results in different styles.
No dents, solders or mechanical issues.
It is in your price range.
PM me if you are interested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Yanagisawa 880, 901, whatever they called the intermediate model. The best modern pro-like horn for the money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
French Vito!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
In that price range, you will find some great vintage pro horns that have the great sound many prefer but if you would rather have modern keywork than a good sound, you may want to look for a Vito, Yamaha YAS-23 or a Bundy II. I have had a Mark VI for about 47 years but I use Vintage Conns or Martins due to the better sound quality. I have Martins in your price range but they don't look like the horns you are looking for.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bundy was $175. :) I'm willing to go a good bit more.

Why did you get rid of the bundy to then go shop for another horn in the bundy price range?

You'd have been better off investing in a good mouthpiece for the bundy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I can't have modern keywork and a great sound for less than a grand ? Don't make me buy a Venus ! hehe

In that price range, you will find some great vintage pro horns that have the great sound many prefer but if you would rather have modern keywork than a good sound, you may want to look for a Vito, Yamaha YAS-23 or a Bundy II. I have had a Mark VI for about 47 years but I use Vintage Conns or Martins due to the better sound quality. I have Martins in your price range but they don't look like the horns you are looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,309 Posts
So I can't have modern keywork and a great sound for less than a grand ? Don't make me buy a Venus ! hehe
If you are patient you might find a used B&S 2001 alto down that low. Chances of playing it before buying are slim though. I paid just over $1k for mine a few years ago, and prices havent gone up for sure. Ive no regrets. Definitely a modern pro horn in the bargain basement.

This recent sale was at the high end of the price spectrum for an alto at ~$1200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTO-SAXOPH...ultDomain_0&hash=item35b4824c41#ht_500wt_1202

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact current price, but the Bauhaus Walstein alto is recommended highly by a lot of people here. I bought their baritone and soprano (for playing as pro instruments) and tried a couple of the altos. If I wanted an alto with modern fingering for pro use at that price, that's exactly what I would get. In fact, I can't think of anything else that fits the bill.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts