Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a hack for reading tenor sax (transposed for tenor sax) solos on alto flute:

Read the treble clef sax solo as if it were in the bass clef. (For example, the fourth line D would read as F.)

Add four flats to make up for the key signature difference. (For example, if the sax solo is in D major, the alto flute would be in Bb major.)

Voila, now you can play the John Coltrane Omnibook on alto flute.

Furthermore, the ranges align nicely as the lowest note on tenor is Ab whereas the lowest note on alto flute is G, one octave up. Similarly, the highest note on alto flute is G three octaves higher than the lowest note which corresponds to altissimo A on tenor sax, which is about as high as Trane plays on his solos.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I screwed up on the initial post. It should have read, “add three flats”.

So, if the tenor is in the key of C, the alto flute is in Eb, and if thetenor is in A the alto flute is in C.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Now this is a helpful tip, never thought about it this way! A fourth (alto flute) minus a second (tenor sax) is a third, which is the difference between violin and bassclef-reading....Easy, but I always had a complicated double transposition thing going on.
Tenor sax and alto flute, great for Bossa Nova playing, now I need a guitar player!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I screwed up on the initial post. It should have read, “add three flats”.

So, if the tenor is in the key of C, the alto flute is in Eb, and if thetenor is in A the alto flute is in C.
Great stuff! I do the same thing with a C flute from an alto Eb saxofon

So if I trascribe a line from you, it will sound like this:
'if the alto sax is in the key of C, the C flute is in Eb, and if the alto sax is in the key of A the C flute is in C'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts