Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another thing you could do is grab a fake book/ real book and pick songs that you don't know, in a key you can work with and play them. You learn a lot by doing. As you get better you can pick tougher songs and keys. But for sight reading practice stick with easier songs.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Charles Colins/Bug Bower Rhythms Complete. Anything in SmartMusic.....I find that is a great sightreading tool
+1 for Smart Music There are 146 big band charts you can read your part and play along with a professional recording from Easy to Advanced levels of difficulty. The Lennie Niehaus Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Jazz Conception Series of books are also an excellent way to learn to read jazz rhythms and play jazz phrases.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used Joe Voila's Rhythm Studies for Saxophone to improve my sight reading at college. It's still a great book!
Available at Berklee Press.

Study and be aware of the types of rhythm patterns you are playing. If you have the rhythms down, then you just have to concentrate on the notes.
Study and be aware of different note patterns you are playing. Then all that is left is just concentrating on the musicality!

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts