Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've thought about : would revisiting previous tunes a good idea for the participants ?

Do you guys continue to play and practice the tunes after the month is over ?

If you're using the threads to presumably listen and learn from each other than would it make sense
to come back to a given tune every 3 months or so to see if there's any real progress ?

·
Administrator
17,295 Posts
I think it would be a good idea for people who really want to improve and have the time/opportunity to practice.

Personally I unfortunately don't even have the time/opportunity to practice the TOTM tunes during the month they are called, since I don't have a place to practice. So for me coming back to them (or even do it right during the month) stays a dream for the future!

But I still manage to post every month a mediocre take in each TOTM thread posted since October 2010, which is the best I can do for this moment. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think you can also hear improvement in the new songs for new months, and also that giv es more of an indication to approach than if one just crams a particular song. But at the same time, revisiting is always good. I like to do recordings of some of my favourite songs (Beatrice for example) all the time to gauge how I'm doing; I know the song inside out, so that makes it especially annoying when I've gone backwards on it due to my lack of practise!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
What about a TOTM retrospective thread? It’s nice to have the two active options, but sometimes the tune choices are pretty obscure, not grooving, or just lame. What if the main TOTM monthly thread were to restart from the beginning and run as a third monthly posting option? It would also give newer members/ posters a chance to add takes on the standards they missed that shan’t be recalled.

TOTM Retrothread Just reintroduces the oldest edition of the current month by cutting and pasting the old OP into a new thread and folks proceed as usual.

·
Administrator
17,295 Posts
What about a TOTM retrospective thread? It’s nice to have the two active options, but sometimes the tune choices are pretty obscure, not grooving, or just lame. What if the main TOTM monthly thread were to restart from the beginning and run as a third monthly posting option? It would also give newer members/ posters a chance to add takes on the standards they missed that shan’t be recalled.

TOTM Retrothread Just reintroduces the oldest edition of the current month by cutting and pasting the old OP into a new thread and folks proceed as usual.
Actually all old TOTM threads stay open for who-ever wants to post some new stuff in them. I have seen it happening a few times, but normally those posts don't get much attention from others (which is also the case for the active TOTM threads).

But your idea might work. Let's see how if people respond to it in this thread.

·
Administrator
17,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I've done that, haven't posted a lot the last couple years as I haven't had enough time to listen and comment to what everyone else is doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts