Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Conn Res-o-pads were designed for RTH, and my 11M doesn't have RTH, what pads should I use to re-pad it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Which ever you like.
I've seen Resopads used on saxes without RTHs. (All those old Weltklang/ Meister/ B&M etc East German horns had them.)
So long as the pad is the right thickness it doesn't matter too much. You can chose resonators with some. I use good quality Selmer style pads on most instruments. (Metal domed resonators)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I agree with DZVE because reso pads will probably cut through very easily. They worked well on RTH models, but non rolled tone holes could make short duty of reso pads, because they are extremely soft.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I like the musicmedic flat metal resos. They look similar to the Conn pads too. Measure the cups without the old pads when ordering as buying a set is not always the best idea due to some cups not being exactly like the published sizes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like the musicmedic flat metal resos. They look similar to the Conn pads too. Measure the cups without the old pads when ordering as buying a set is not always the best idea due to some cups not being exactly like the published sizes.
+1 I have bought sets and have had to order a couple that weren't the right size in the set. Curt is real good with this replacement policy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with DZVE because reso pads will probably cut through very easily. They worked well on RTH models, but non rolled tone holes could make short duty of reso pads, because they are extremely soft.
So, you're saying they're softer kidskin than "standard" kidskin pads?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting pads is not the issue, I can do that. It was a question of the use of Res-o-pads. And I know about measuring; I was a tech at a *really* small music store for a while. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I also find that the reso-pads are hard to size for some models. They really need to be exact. Check with MusicMedic as they offer both types and ask some questions re: the non RTH.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
I'm not a fan of Resopads, but in my experience they last very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts