Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Fester's New C Melody - 1923 Buescher True-Tone SN# 139572 "Hoping for a reply!" (Introduction)

Re: Fester's New C Melody - 1923 Buescher True-Tone SN# 139572 "Hoping for a reply!" (Introduction)

Hey folks...Im new here and posted a thread on the Buescher frum & got some very good replies. As this forum is more specific to C Melody I thought I'd post here and see what experts think......... below the link to the photos below (actually the ebay ad) I posted my original thread post as a little intro.
Fester

I thought I'd share a few photos to see if there was anything that jumps off the page I should know...Hope you will take the time to view...Its the Link to the original ebay add but it shows the add and you can select enlarged pictures before I got it...Any comments would be appreciated...Thanks Fester

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K:MEWNX:IT

Fester's New C Melody - 1923 Buescher True-Tone SN# 139572 "Hoping for a reply!" (Introduction)
Hi! I'm Fester I am new to this forum & hoping for the best! I am a novice to these sites and initially registered & left a question about my new/old sax on another popular forum…and after a week..."zilch"...I see however on this site, people actually respond
I just found a 1923 Buescher True Tone SN# 139572. I bought it cheap (I think) and my "bucket list" quest is to see if I can bring it back to life & then learn to play it (yes I said learn to play it).
I picked the C-MEL because I wanted it to be “out of the ordinary” (at least for modern times) and my passion is antiques anyway & this clearly qualifies.... I've been researching & soaking up C Melody info like a sponge & I know I made the right choice. This sax has no dents and had no repairs...it is silver (almost black) & had a good neck but no MP or case....I started cleaning it with "Silver Foam' and so far I am happy!
Now my (initial) questions...
A) I know the year, and the SN (139572) but what else can I learn from that about my sax (model, date, ????)
B) I am going to try to get period MP, Reeds, lig etc… what brand names I should search for?
C) while cleaning it (I am confident by closely examining the area, it was not existing and I or father time at any rate did it) the support post between the bell & body "let go" at the body.....Is that a big deal repair (new solder /super glue)...or am I screwed)?
"Hoping for a reply!"
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts

...while cleaning it (I am confident by closely examining the area, it was not existing and I or father time at any rate did it) the support post between the bell & body "let go" at the body.....Is that a big deal repair (new solder /super glue)...or am I screwed)?
Repair (re-solder) required immediately... Not a biggy if there isn't a huge gap where it should be soldered, but could have affected alignment of bell pad-cups. Might just have partially dislodged the bell-to-bow joint as well. Dont hold it by the bell until you get that fixed [rolleyes]

P.S. Welcome !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts

Fester....Good name, probably, & hopefully, inappropriate.
Welcome to the world of C.
A/ I could not retrieve the link you provided but, from the information supplied, yours is a Buescher TT (True Tone). A very good horn, certainly not rare but owned & played by many of us here.
To learn more about Cmelody/C tenors I would direct you to Alan Tucker's splendid & dedicated site at:- http://cmelodysax.co.uk/blog/
B/ Some would say that the original mouthpieces were the death knell of the C tenor.....very small tip, lifeless and stuffy; so, unless you intend to slick down your hair & adopt a centre parting and co-respondents' shoes in your 1920s Tribute Band, you would be strongly advised to bring your horn to life with a modern alto, tenor or C Melody mouthpiece. Personally I have never tried a modern C tenor piece but the personality of the horn can be biased to either tenor-like or alto-like by your choice of mouthpiece.
C/ The bell brace.
It is a five minute repair. Either take it to a tech, or, clean up the mating faces with lighter fuel, press the surfaces together & apply heat with a small propane flame torch....ie. re-solder. Without doubt there will be traces of solder on both surfaces....enough for them to re- fuse.
I admire your motives....I have three & have been playing them for some twenty years in Blues/ Rock bands....I love them & use them as dinky tenors.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Will do.. thanks to both....I will be careful until its fixed...
CB if you would send me an email: [email protected] I would respond with the pictures attached...I dont have a way to upload then to the web...
Thanks in advance!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

Will do.. thanks to both....I will be careful until its fixed...
CB if you would send me an email: [email protected] I would respond with the pictures attached...I dont have a way to upload then to the web...
Thanks in advance!
You have a way to upload them to the forum. Next to the "Post Quick Reply" button is another one that says "Go Advanced". Click that. You'll get more options, including the ability to post funny faces and a button way down at the end that says "Manage Attachements". Click that and you'll get a pop-up window that lets you browse your computer and attach up to 5 photos.

·
6,715 Posts

Fester....please tell me more about "Silver Foam".
At the moment I have a totally dismantled silver plated sax spread all over the dining room table.
My hands are black, sore, & bleeding from innumerable needle spring stabs.
Cunning things needle springs...have you noticed how they are arranged in opposing pairs? When polishing the body of the horn it is so easy to prick one's finger, only to instinctively & sharply recoil. This results in comprehensively impaling the finger on the opposing spring.
Why should springs end in a sharp point?
I have been looking for "Magic Cleano Silver Spray" for years....spray it on & wash it off to reveal a sparkling clean sax....or are we meant to suffer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

CB here is a link reference "Hagerty's Silver Foam" from a place that carries it but EBAY has it also...both links below....but yes we maybe meant to suffer (or pay someone else which also makes me suffer!)

http://www.nancysilver.com/mm5/merc...roduct_Code=17SF8&Category_Code=Hagerty_Store

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...hagerty+silver+foam&_sacat=See-All-Categories

MADDENMA - Thanks for the tip reference posting the picks...I will try it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I will try to upload this pictures of my 1923 Buescher True-Tone SN# 139572. these are the condition it was in when I found it. Looks like it will take to uploads to get them all in...Any comments welcome! Thanks Fester

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here is the second set Thank you very much!

·
6,715 Posts

Fester, thanks for the gen on "Silver Foam".
I think that your horn must take the record for the most tarnished ever....perhaps it has never been used & that you have, in effect, a new but very dirty horn.
I look forward to photographs of the miraculous effect of "Silver Foam"! Do you have to dismantle the horn or simply squirt at random & then wash it off. In other words, does the foam have any detrimental effect upon pads, springs etc?

PS. Just noticed that it is available only in America....Grrrr

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

Wow. I must be lucky, Capt. I too have a C Melody lying on my workbench, totally stripped and now shining beautifully. I didn't draw ANY blood! Thanks, Fester, for the foam polish tip. Just waiting for my alcohol lamp and I'll start putting it back together. It's the Pan American. My Buescher TT is playing nicely with a Meyer Alto mpc. The Holton is awaiting a neck cork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts

Lewis - when cleaning saxes now I invariably slide a small sleeve over the end of the springs that have attacked me most in the past.

The sleeves are obtained from stripping some mains old pvc cable/flex, and pulling one inch or more (approx) lengths of insulation off the internal brown, blue and green/yellow wires. Other people impale small nubs of 'bottle neck cork' on the points.

Even if to thin to go 'all the way on' the fatter springs, at least it shields the end. I guess that's why they got the name 'needle springs'. Ouch !

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Hi Fester,
welcome to the c-melody club.
I love my c-mel Buescher, and I am sure you will have fun with yours too.
As Capitain B stated, don't worry too much about period mouthpieces. Modern ones will probably be your choice anyway. Trying a bunch of different ones to find out the one(s) that give you the sound you want without intonation issues is part of the vintage horn fun.

·
6,715 Posts

Lewis - when cleaning saxes now I invariably slide a small sleeve over the end of the springs that have attacked me most in the past.
Alan....you always were more sensible than I.
Actually, in the past, I have done exactly as you suggest but, now that I am so much more experienced I was not about to fall for the old "spring injections" again....oh really!

·
6,715 Posts

Wow. I must be lucky, Capt. I too have a C Melody lying on my workbench, totally stripped and now shining beautifully. I didn't draw ANY blood! Thanks, Fester, for the foam polish tip. Just waiting for my alcohol lamp and I'll start putting it back together. It's the Pan American. My Buescher TT is playing nicely with a Meyer Alto mpc. The Holton is awaiting a neck cork.
Sandy.
If you did not employ Alan's tip & you have not impaled yourself on the needle springs then I can only assume that you coaxed your wife into cleaning it. :bluewink:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

CB,
The Silver foam is actually a cream, but when you use a damp sponge it gets foamy...Yeah, I am trying without disassembly but I think it will have to be taken apart....I havn't gotten the nerve to try to do that, I'm afraid I might mess it up and never get it back together LOL...anyone know a fool proof (emphasis on fool) way to break it down & put it back together? {CMELODYSAX any idea????}... as for the pads...oh yeah, I think they will be messed up if you foam it up (if the rinsing by dunking in the bath tub doesnt do them in first) LOL...but I will need to replace them anyway! As for the silver foam, Im sure one of the ebay listings could ship no? Hey thanks, I think you guys have me covinced to find a modern version of the MP

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Fester,
one of the problems of polishing it without disassembling it is that you will mess up the pads. This only is a problem if the pads are any good.
The other and more serious problem is that the polishing products are always a bit abrasive. When you polish the sax without disassembling the moving parts, some of this product will get in the cracks and stay between the surfaces that should be lubricated since they rub against each other (rods and keys) as you play. This will cause abrasion and create gaps and loose keys soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yeah well it already needs the repad job without a doubt! I just need a good take down & rebuild "go-by" plan (let me know if anybody has one) and work up the confidence to do it!... and as it was an turns out, I stopped at a local music store about an hour ago (i didn't have it with me as it was unexpected stop). But they do repairs & I described the single contact solder (bell to body brace/post at the body) and was pleasently surprised, they said it should be $30 bucks. I should have left well enough alone but asked about the repad...$400 bucks....$700 bucks for an "overhaul".....I had an idea so no shock....but I'm in no rush & whatever I can learn to do my self will be part of "my quest"
Fester

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

I did it all by myself, Captain Beeflat. The sax was mounted on the table leg. I tore up my sliver cleaning cloth into narrow strips and was very careful. My wife has better things to do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts