Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on ebay that saxquest are selling a 1967 selmer MKVI that has been relaquered and re-engraved ,My question is has anybody ever had there horn re-engraved and with what results?
I have a MKVI that turned out to be relaquered about 80% left and i find that the engraving is not that sharp
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
Joined
·
3,383 Posts
I suppose it all depends on who you have re-engrave it... I had Jason Dumars re-engrave my 30m, and the results were spectacular. He even added a little embellishment at my request.

Unfortunately, he doesn't take much work on these days, but you could see if he'd either get you on his schedule or recommend someone else. Jason is on this board, I believe his username is just his full name.

Pete
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
trigger said:
I saw on ebay that saxquest are selling a 1967 selmer MKVI that has been relaquered and re-engraved ,My question is has anybody ever had there horn re-engraved and with what results?
I have a MKVI that turned out to be relaquered about 80% left and i find that the engraving is not that sharp
I have a relacquered 1969 MK VI that has been relacquered and re-engraved. In my ignorance, I would never have known it was a relaq, had not Saxquest been forthcoming in their description.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
I dont know much about engraving, but am wondering how much it affects the sound of the horn to add more, quite like tattooing.

I play a Keilwerth SX90-R Alto and would like to have additional engraving done, but don't want to mess up the sound. Any ideas?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
Joined
·
3,383 Posts
I didn't notice any difference when my horn was engraved, but let me tell you, once it was tattooed, it sounded much cooler.

SP
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
CiaranAudio said:
I dont know much about engraving, but am wondering how much it affects the sound of the horn to add more, quite like tattooing.

I play a Keilwerth SX90-R Alto and would like to have additional engraving done, but don't want to mess up the sound. Any ideas?

LOL.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
No, you said something funny.

You know that the air column makes the sound, not the metal...but hey I don't want to start anything similar to another lacquer/no lacquer thread...

As said above, extra engraving makes as much difference to the sound of the horn as a tattoo does to a voice, or shape (and woodcuts or other decorations) does to an electric guitar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
hakukani said:
No, you said something funny.

You know that the air column makes the sound, not the metal...but hey I don't want to start anything similar to another lacquer/no lacquer thread...

As said above, extra engraving makes as much difference to the sound of the horn as a tattoo does to a voice, or shape (and woodcuts or other decorations) does to an electric guitar.
As I imagined. But then there has been plenty of times I have "imagined" things to be a certain way and then they turn out to be very very different! Since I was 17 when I bought the horn, for $4200.00 (canadian) I just wanted to double check I wasnt going to wreck anything.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
Joined
·
21,035 Posts
AS far as all the hype on relacquering, I think if you are collecting or selling the original is nice BUT to me if a horn is relacquered (well) and a player, go for it. I would rather have a nice looking horn than one that looks like the bottom of a tractor. Maybe that is why all of my horns are plated ones except for a newer the Martin and a Conn 28M.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top