Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Banned
5,324 Posts
Just a follow up, I spoke to my mate who did the course, they only ever referred to it as the ring on the end of the neck. Napbirt dont have any references to it as a ferrule, and delphi which is just repairers has no one using the term neck and ferrule together either.
If you have access to Delphi Band Instrument Repair Forum search for thread 6059.1 and you will see several experienced techs use this term. There are also hundreds of references to "ferrule" on Delphi in relation to joints on brass instruments.

· Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,168 Posts
I believe we may be discussing two different types of doodad on the end of the crook.

A soldered or brazed on ring would probably be correctly described as a ferrule. You also get ferrules on fishing rods, it's kind of like a tenon and tenon receiver, except they are called male and female ferrules.

But if the end of the neck is extruded, ie the brass is pulled outwards to form a lip, then I wouldn't call that a ferrule.

· Banned
2,969 Posts
While I admit that it is a topic that seldom comes up in discussion, every tech who has referred to the thing at the end of the neck in conversation with me has called it "the ring." As a result, I am happy to continue calling it that. 

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,743 Posts
If you have access to Delphi Band Instrument Repair Forum search for thread 6059.1 and you will see several experienced techs use this term. There are also hundreds of references to "ferrule" on Delphi in relation to joints on brass instruments.
Now we are flogging a dead horse. And time to get to the point

I personaly dont care what some one calls the ring at the end of a sax neck,

If the original poster started the thread of with ferrule, I would not have corrected him, would have simply made my responses as the ring

If someone came in to my shop and said the ferulle at the end of the neck is damaged, I would know what they are talking about, and I would not correct them either, I would however when talking to them use the word ring in my repsonse

The reason I interjected was becuase you said
If you want to really impress others you can call the "ring on the end of the neck" by its technical name which is Ferrule.
There aren't you impressed? :mrgreen:
No I wasnt, I dis-agreed, and simply mentioned that the original reference IMO was technically correct,

Then In a follow up, you decide to go further and re-interate it by saying its a " Fact "

In the band instrument repair trade it is called a "ferrule". That is a fact.
This was news to me, (and I work in the band instrument repair industry) and if you remember I said can you post links for info that reflects this as this was a new terminology for me, I was willing to accept that this could be a terminology I was un-aware off, and if so I would amend all my future references to reflect this terminology had it been correct.

Back to regarding Delphi

Wow one thread amongst thousands of threads, which happens to be a thread from 4 years ago, had a member ask whether others cork over the top of the ferrule, the responses there after addressed that members question, is this the overwhelming fact, a singular 4 year old topic which mentions the two words together, well thats diffinative enough for me.

Yes I dont disagree with the other uses of the word in relation to the brass instruments, thats not whats in question,

In the band instrument repair trade it is called a "ferrule". That is a fact.
Clearly its not a fact. Hopefully this puts an end to the topic

PS, out of curiosity why did you also decide to call it a ring in your response this thread ref #43, after the discussion about it being a ring or ferrule,

To me it is common sense that the ring reinforces and protects the end of the neck rather than just being for decoration.

· Banned
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
What ever it is called mine is covered. If it starts to wear I will trim it back to expose it. Then I will have a better idea if it makes any more difference than what color your lig is! Until then Im just glad I have a cork.
Of course lig color makes a difference. That's why leather is darker than silver.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,743 Posts
If the end ring is not covered by the cork, then its either still manufacturers cork, or you have had someone do the re-cork who has taken the time to fit the cork up behind the ring.

As has been mentioned in this thread, it really does not appear to matter to much whether you cork over or behind the ring. So long as the end result is sanded to accomodate the mouthpiece then all is good.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.