Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Charge more than 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'd like to know you opinion on this matter.

I charge more for occasional or by-weekly one hour lessons than I do for weekly lessons, 50% more.
Do any of you also do this ?
I do this to encourage regularity and as compensation for the blocked schedule by-weekly lessons cause.
Most students have no problem with this, but I will sometimes get some resistance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
What's your base price? If $27.50/lesson, that might not seem so much. If you are in the $100/lesson range, the 50% uptick is more considerable.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's your base price? If $27.50/lesson, that might not seem so much. If you are in the $100/lesson range, the 50% uptick is more considerable.
$40 vs $60

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Sounds fair on paper. It would come down to whether the additional cost is an extreme burden for someone whose schedule dictates a hardship - but I assume that you reserve the right to adjust compensation on a case-by-case basis.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Its not a bad idea to have a sliding scale to encourage multiple lessons. So with my teacher one lesson is over 50. then if you get 8 down to 45 a lesson> But I wouldn't jack up a single lesson unless its a mini workshop where you give them a 2 hour mini workshop lesson for 150 or whatever you want to charge. K

·
Registered
57 Posts
A big part also depends on if they're coming to me or I'm going to the student. If the student is heading my way, and it fits my schedule, I'm okay keeping everything the same.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this week I had a first time student come for a one time lesson @ +50%.
He wrote me back saying how much he appreciated and how he found that his tone had improved by following my advice.

Also this week I had a regular weekly student who has been with me for a year and a half get back to me after 2 months off saying that he now wanted his lessons every 2 weeks. After I reminded him of my rate's sliding scale, he answered that he found a cheaper teacher...

·
Registered
175 Posts
My teacher charges $800 for 10/1hour lessons up front at the start of the 10 lesson block. Or if someone wants an extensive recorded 2 hour one-off lesson to go away and shed on for the rest of there existence, then I think he charges around $300. So in an answer to the question, it seems right to charge more for the one-off or occasional lesson.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My teacher charges $800 for 10/1hour lessons up front at the start of the 10 lesson block. Or if someone wants an extensive recorded 2 hour one-off lesson to go away and shed on for the rest of there existence, then I think he charges around $300. So in an answer to the question, it seems right to charge more for the one-off or occasional lesson.
I wish I could charge those rates :) But I imagine he is a well renowned player/teacher.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
$40 vs $60
That sounds reasonable. I'm paying $75USD/lesson for two 1-hours lessons a month in the Washington D.C. area (from a well-established Berklee-trained jazz guitarist, nonetheless). I'm an advancing student playing occasional gigs so the lessons are more in depth on upskilling my jazz muiscality and developing applied theory chops, so the pedagogy is more advanced and the compensation commensurate with more advanced learning. $60C sounds inbounds to me with respect to occasional or bi-weekly lessons.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Rather than increasing the price for occasional lessons, why not offer a discount for regular ones?

Like, $60 per hour. 33% off if you sign up for weekly lessons.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rather than increasing the price for occasional lessons, why not offer a discount for regular ones?

Like, $60 per hour. 33% off if you sign up for weekly lessons.
I do offer a package deal. 12 lessons for the price of 10 if they pay up front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts