Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an entry level bari price wise, to supplement my tenor playing when I need that extra ooomf.

I am based in the UK and watching a fairly sad pennsylvania going on ebay for around 240. At the same time a new Dearman is bin for 650. It seems far better looked after.

Any advice people? If I wade in guaranteed the 240 auction price will raise to about 350 I'd say, then there's kit for the overhaul, and very likely tech fees.

I have already talked myself out of it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,

there are no cheap baris and if they are cheap they aren't worth the money.
Even used baris are usually above 1.000€

BR
Juergen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Buying a Bari for less than $3,500 is a mistake considering a good alto will run you half that if you are lucky. I paid $3,500 for my bari thirty years ago and it is still going strong. Replacement cost for the same model is over $8,000. You get what you put into it. If you put it little, you will get little to nothing back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go for a used one.
I used to play a crappy cheap lowA Bari, purchased new (2k€).
Few years ago I tried a ‘70 lowBb Keilwerth (was the “pro” series at the time) and what a difference!
Much better response, it’ built like a tank and it doesn’t have to stop to my tech once a year. I had to buy it.
The Bari was 1500€, and I wish I knew it before.
Now I keep the lowA for the couple of times I need the extra note, but the difference between an old (not vintage, those don’t come cheap) pro horn and a student/cheap one are remarkable.
BR

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
I am looking for an entry level bari price wise, to supplement my tenor playing when I need that extra ooomf.

I am based in the UK and watching a fairly sad pennsylvania going on ebay for around 240. At the same time a new Dearman is bin for 650. It seems far better looked after.

Any advice people? If I wade in guaranteed the 240 auction price will raise to about 350 I'd say, then there's kit for the overhaul, and very likely tech fees.

I have already talked myself out of it!
Of those two choices, “Neither” is the correct answer.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you look long enough, you may find something that fits the wallet but unless you are extremely lucky you are in for at least $1,500. Even if you find a cheap one, it will very likely need some serious overhaul. On the bright side, Baris are easier to work on than sopranos ...

Look out for a 12M, or a King Zephyr and invest a bit more if necessary. To quote Bismarck: "We are way too poor to buy anything cheap..." And it's the best advice I've ever gotten

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought a beat up Couf for $700 shipped that needs work, but would still be a deal if I overhauled it. I payed $700 for a beat up Buescher Big B years ago that was a monster and needed little work. The saxophoke market is unstable but deals come up if you look for them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
825 Posts
It's very frustrating trying to play a horn that is not in good condtion, just a waste of your time.
It's not like playing a piano that's out of tune, it is impossible to produce some/ most of the notes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's very frustrating trying to play a horn that is not in good condtion, just a waste of your time.
It's not like playing a piano that's out of tune, it is impossible to produce some/ most of the notes.
That's certainly true, but I personally feel better about investing in fixing an older horn with resale value than buying a new one. I bought a Barone tenor new a while back based on raving reviews, hoping it would hold up better than my older horns. The metal was soft though, and the keys bent fairly easily, making hard to keep regulated. I ended up selling it for a significant loss. My old college had a YBS-52 that was well built and played well, but the sound was uninspiring compared to most vintage horns I've played. To be fair, I have played way more vintage horns than modern horns, so I can't reasonably say that vintage horns are inherently better than modern horns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts